The urban desi phenom known as Jay Deala is ready, set and poised to take his rightful place as the first mainstream hip-hop artist from the Indian community in years. Inspired by mainstream pioneer artists such as Apache Indian and Punjabi MC, Jay Deala is aiming to take over the music industry and fill a void in urban desi hip-hop that has desperately been needed for quite some time now. Get ready for something special.
In an age of the micro label, Jay Deala registered his own record label/entertainment company, M WAY Entertainment Incorporated. This major step empowered and expanded his capabilities to explore all types of music genres. Jay Deala is hip-hop at its best however he is not limited to just one type or style of music by any means. Now that he has refined and perfected his skills as a live hip-hop and recording artist, Jay Deala is looking to scout and develop the wealth of hidden talent that can be found locally as well as internationally. Professional executive production and artist development in all aspects of the music industry is the future of M WAY Entertainment Inc.
Coming from a highly inclined musically gifted and talented family, Jay Deala, born Harjinder Jay Singh in Toronto Ontario Canada, was destined for greatness. As an immigrant, who migrated from India, Jay Deala’s father struggled to find employment in Canada at a time where visible minorities were a scarce and unknown commodity. Along with hard work ethic, intelligence and the gift of music his father made it through course waters and has become one of the most successful business men in the Indian community in southern Ontario. Jay’s father would keep his motivated mind set during troubled times through playing various instruments and singing. Mastering the harmonium and refining his vast knowledge of religious studies, Jay’s father also influenced and inspired his children to vent and express their feelings and emotion through music by singing at numerous religious functions and Gurdwara’s (Sikh Temples). Jay’s older brother mastered the art of Tablas (Indian drums) at a very young age playing alongside his father and also travelling with many notable classical singers such as Ghulam Ali and Jagjit Singh in the early 90’s.
Jay Deala started his journey into music by following in the footsteps of his father. He learned to play the tablas and the harmonium at a very young age. However, music expression through the religious environment did not really appeal to him. In retrospect, commercial music was becoming more and more free spirited and out spoken. In the 90’s Mainstream hip-hop and rap was being taken over by a phenomenon known as gangster rap. Hip-hop superstars like the late greats Tupac Shakur and Notorious BIG blew up the rap game and exposed the trials and tribulations of the inner city urban lifestyle. Guns, girls, money, power and respect were the key elements influencing youth through rap and hip hop music at this time. It was cool to be bad, and Jay Deala embraced this culture with open arms.
Jay Deala’s family moved from the east end in Scarborough, all the way across the city of Toronto, to the west end in Brampton. Jay met many of his lifetime friends there as they shared the same common interests, mainly gangster rap. Jay would relish the opportunity to listen to his friends Ceazar and Bezzle freestyle at the local parks, alleys and catwalks. A little apprehensive at first that people would not appreciate or understand that his true desire was to freestyle and MC, Jay Deala beat boxed for his friends. Slowly but surely he came out of his shell and started to cypher along with the group. Their acceptance of him and his desire to rap boosted his confidence and made him realize that this is what he wanted to do. Natural entertaining abilities, intelligence, an outgoing and flamboyant personality were perfect characteristics for his flow and complimented his lyrical talent.
Jay Deala realized that he had to take music to another level from a business standpoint in order to quench his never ending thirst for performing and entertaining. Everyone’s dream is to work for or do something that they love to do and Jay Deala felt the same way, moreover the reason for registering M WAY Entertainment Inc. With his savvy entrepreneurial skills and his sheer love for music, the arts and entertainment, life was all starting to have more meaning and dreams were turning to reality.
M Way Entertainment started out as a group of close friends who were all born in Toronto and then migrated to the suburbs of the Peel Region. As a pass time, the group of friends would hang out at parks and catwalks cyphering, beat boxing and playing basketball, bringing the Toronto urban lifestyle to the suburbs of Brampton and Mississauga.
Just to mention a few, here are some Notable Performances:
- Opening act for Russell Peters, K A R D I N A L, FRANK N DANK, Mathew
Good @ Kingswood Music Theatre, WONDERLAND
- Intermediate act for SOUTH BEACH BHANGRA 4 @ Jackie Gleason Theatre in South Beach, Miami, Florida
- Headlining act for ONE NIGHT ONLY @ I'Panema Nightclub in downtown Birmingham, England
- Opening act for Malkit Singh and Manak-E @ Bhangra Fusion @ Ontario Place in Toronto, Canada
- Headliner for SUMMERSLAM @ DNA Lounge in the Club District Downtown, Toronto, Canada
- Opening act for Panjabi MC and Aman Hayer @ Pearson Convention Centre in Toronto, Canada
- Host of DISPLAY RAGE FREESTYLE BATTLE and CONCERT SERIES touring all University and College Campus'
- Jay Deala opening for Toronto pioneer artist SNOW @ DNA Lounge in the Club District Downtown, Toronto, Canada
- Jay Deala LIVE @ IMPORTFEST 2008 @ Downsview Park, Toronto, Canada
- Jay Deala LIVE @ DESIFEST 2008 @ Yonge and Dundas Square, Downtown Toronto, Canada.
- Jay Deala LIVE @ CELEBRITY 2009 @ Alibi Bar in London England
- Jay Deala Special Guest Performance @ CLUB MANGO 2009 in London England
- Jay Deala headlines DESIFEST 2009 Canadian National Tour appearing in Ottawa May 4th, Toronto May 30th, Montreal June 27th and Vancouver July 25th
- Jay Deala and Deesha Sarai headlines the URBAN GROOVES showcase at the 10th annual MASALA MENDHI MASTI July 2010 at the CNE in Toronto.
- Jay Deala headlines the 2nd annual South Asian Music Festival in downtown Ottawa at Confederation Park July 2010
- Jay Deala LIVE at SCRAPE BY THE LAKE Toronto’s largest low-rider car show in St. Catherines Prudhommes Landing July 2010.
- Jay Deala LIVE at PMC in Ottawa @ Lago Bar and Grill. Jay Deala and Deep Jandu performed alongside the legendary Panjabi MC
The OFFICIAL M WAY MIXTAPE Vol 1 released in 2007 was an immense success selling thousands of copies locally. Its success was because the amazing fans support and great feedback. The OFFICIAL M WAY MIXTAPE Vol 2 was released in 2008 and featured a lot more material from Jay Deala. It allowed him to showcase his versatile flow and other many creative facets of his music. He then dropped an EP which included the international smash hit single “AJAA” featuring Deep Jandu and three bonus hip-hop tracks in North America, the UK and India.
Ajaa received heavy radio play and rotation all over the world and is the reason why there is so much demand for the Jay Deala brand today. Now, with two mix tapes and a successful EP as predecessors, the most anticipated international debut album “SINCERELY, JAY DEALA”... is set to release in 2011! Complete with music videos and big label distribution support, Sincerely Jay Deala will definitely be one of the greatest, most successful and most notarized albums to date from the south asian urban music industry. The stage has been set for something really special... Sincerely, Jay Deala!