(Managua, Nicaragua - 1963)
• She started her musical career in 1978 singing with her high school choir.
• In 1980 she joins her brother singer songwriter SALVADOR CARDENAL BARQUERO (1960-2010) and starts DUO GUARDABARRANCO. (www.duoguardabarranco.com)
• She starts writing songs at a very young age and dedicates her life to write, sing and tour.
• She studies music and graduates from Escuela Nacional de Música in Managua in 1984, as an Elementary Music school teacher.
• She wins II place at the biggest Hispanic Music Festival OTI International 1990, as a singer among 22 countries.
• 10 albums as a solo artist:
1. Brazos de sol 1996 Nicaragua
2. Navegas por las costas 1999 Norway (Gold album)
3. En Reveslandia 1999 Norway
4. Ven a mi casa esta navidad 2000 Norway
5. Sueño de una noche de verano 2001 Norway
6. Fragancia 2003 Norway
7. Hojarasca 2004 Nicaragua
8. Mariposa de alas rotas 2008 Nicaragua
9. Messe for Kari og Ola 2008 Norway
10. Misa Campesina 2009 Nicaragua- Norway
• Katia lived in Norway five years (1996-2000 y 2004-2005) and she signed with one of the best record labels in Norway (www.kkv.no), she recorded seven albums with them.
• Her first single was on the Norwegian top 40 for 16 weeks and she got a Gold album for her sales.
• Her translations of Norwegian songs to Spanish are included in Spanish lessons books in Norway.
• She was included in The 100 years of Norwegian pop and rock book.
• Her recordings are included in albums around the world in Spain, USA, Poland, Costa Rica, Korea, Chipre, Syria, Argentina, Nicaragua and Norway.
• For 32 years she has been touring in Costa Rica, Cuba, Panamá, Faroe Islands, El Salvador, Canada, United States, Honduras, México, Guatemala, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Denmark, Russia, Checoslovaquia, Germany, Holland, Italia, Puerto Rico, Chile and Ecuador.
• Katia is the female artist with the biggest collection of music in the Central American region, with 22 albums recorded.
• 12 albums with DÚO GUARDABARRANCO;
1. Un trago de horizonte 1982 Nicaragua
2. Si buscabas 1985 USA
3. Días de amar 1991 Denmark -USA
4. Casa abierta 1994 USA
5. Antología 1995 Nicaragua
6. Una noche con Guardabarranco 2001 Nicaragua
7. Verdadero pan 2003 Nicaragua
8. Cancionero 2005 Nicaragua
9. Dale una luz, canciones compartidas 2007 Nicaragua
10. Transparente Nicaragua 2008 Nicaragua
11. Soy Juventud 2009 Nicaragua
12. Cronología 2011 Nicaragua
• She founded a Cultural Promoter Enterprise TUCANTO, and an independent record label MOKA DISCOS.
• She organizes and directs an International Festival for women singer songwriters since 2007.
• Katia also started FUNDACION DUO GUARDABARRANCO to promote and rescue human principles that are part of the lyrics that give life to her music and are part of her repertoire for a life time.
• Katia Cardenal dedicates her life to music and she performs and tours as a soloist with a trio in Nicaragua, Latin, Central, North America and Europe frequently.