BIOGRAPHY OF MACKIE CONSCIOUS
Last updated March 2, 2010
MACKIE CONSCIOUS, the singer, songwriter and musician was christened Dennis McKay. A Libran who celebrates his birthday on September 23, he was born in the inner city community of Clarke Street, Montego Bay, Jamaica, W.I.
His scholastic activities began at Miss Katy Basic School in his community of Mount Salem. His next stop was at Barracks Road Primary from where he went to the Montego Bay Secondary, before terminating his school life at the Montego Bay Community College.
The struggle for a good education was hard in a family of eight children but with perseverance, dedication and much sacrifice he was able to achieve three A’ level subjects and five in the O’ levels, along with a college certificate – an outstanding achievement by Jamaican standards.
Mackie started singing at age 10 almost inimitably copying the style of the then baby boy prodigy Michael Jackson. Two years later, he learned to play the guitar, and a little piano almost on his own. He later became the bass player of a gospel band called CHOB in Montego Bay.
MACKIE worked in the field of Accounting at which time he played music part time. With economic difficulties still stalking him and an inability to find a job, he transformed his car into a taxicab. With poverty still virtually maintaining a sort of a stranglehold on him, Mackie resorted to a professional musician, playing in most of the hotels on the north coast circuit. This life did not exactly offer him a springboard out of his obscure existence as he often times had to endure a spate of disparaging receptions from senior personnel to the point of working for nothing, being fired from bands for the sake of friends - just to name a few.
However, like the old cliché, “fortune favors the brave”, he started forming his own band called REBEL RAIDERS which later became more popular as RAIDERS for which he has been lead vocalist and bassist.
In 1997 the song writing skills of Mackie Conscious elevated virtually overnight after having a dream about Bob Marley (the king of reggae) who told him he would have him continue writing his songs. Since then, Mackie has been inspired to write songs of education, freedom and consciousness with messages of spiritual upliftment .
By the year 2000, Mackie Conscious who also acquired a certificate in computer repairs, made his debut appearance on the biggest international music festival Reggae Sumfest.. By 2001-2002 he did his first overseas assignment, “A Tribute To New York” (following the 9/11 Massacre) in Florida. Mr. Conscious later became a household name judging by the frequent requests for interviews by most print, visual and audio media with the release of the thought-provoking song, “What If” (ensued by a music video) which went to number 18 on the Jamaica Top 40 Chart. This won him The JFM award for Best Recording Artiste 2001.
From then on the artiste scored big with hits like “Cell phone On His Hip”, “The World Is In Trouble”, “Who Is Your Friend”, “More Reality”, a cover version of the Jacob Miller classic “Discipline Child” “ Should I run”, “Cant be a king and no roya”, “Lucky Mi nuh Lucky and most recently,Leave the Crumbs alone Feat:Taddy P .
Mackie who many of his fans cite as the next Bob Marley (in terms of message music) has performed for many celebrities like Louis Farrakhan, Patti La Belle, Cheryl Lee-Ralph, Jah Rule – among the more popular names.
Always in the studios adding to his collection, Mackie Conscious has other songs like “Money And Power”, “Never Give Up”, “Understand Each Other”, “Don’t blame Me”, “Mad World”, “Overtime” to name a few of some of which have been playing on the radio stations all over the world.
This dreadlocks entertainer has made a statement on major stage-shows sharing the spotlight with the blockbusters.
MAJOR STAGE SHOWS
• Reggae Sumfest 2009 Montego Bay Jamaica
• THE PEOPLES SUMMIT OF AMERICAS 2009-Port of Spain Trinidad
• GT Taylor Extravaganza 2007 St Elizabeth
• Cure Fest 2007 Trelawney Jamaica
• Tribute to Peter Tosh 2007 Savanalamar
• Reggae Sumfest 2007- Bob Marley Center Mo Bay
Western Consciousness 2007 Savanalamar
• UniteThe People 2007 Mountpellia St James
• Rebel Salute 2007 St Elizabeth
• Reggae Sumfest 2006 Bob Marley Center Mo Bay
• Las-Vegas Festival 2006 Las Vegas Nevada USA
• Air Jamaica Jazz & Blued Festival 2006 - Cinnamon Hill Jamaica WI
• Philly reggae music Festival 2005 –Philadelphia USA
• Reggae Sumfest 2005 –Bob Marley Center Mo Bay
• Tribute to Peter Tosh 2004 Savanalamar
• Tribute to Marcus Garvey 2004- Negril
• Reggae Sumfest 2004 -Bob Marley Center Montego Bay
• Tribute to Bob Marley 2004 - Ranny Williams Center Kingston
• East Fest 2003 - Good Year Oval St Thomas
• Reggae sumfest 2003 - Bob Marley Center, Montego Bay
• Tribute to Bob Marley 2003 - James Bond Beach St Mary
• Reggae sumfest 2002 - Bob Marley Center, Montego Bay
• Tribute to Garnet Silk 2002 St Elizabeth
• Tribute To Bob Marley 2002 Nine miles St Ann
• Rebel Salute 2002 Port Kaiser, St Elizabeth Jamaica
• more Culture 2002 at Caribbean Beach Park, Montego Bay
• Unity Splash 2002 at Savanna La mar, Westmoreland
• Tribute to New York from Jamaica at CB Smith Park, Florida USA (Benefit concert for September 11 victims)
• Jamerican Film and Music Festival Montego Bay
• Reggae Sumfest 2001 Montego Bay
• Miss Tropicana Pageant 2001 Hedonism 111 Runaway Jamaica
• International Reggae Day 2001 Bob Marley museum Kingston,
• Jamaica Federation Of Musicians Award, 2001 Ocho Rios,
• Reggae Sumfest 2000 Montego Bay,
• Tribute to Peter Tosh 2000, Mx3 Negril,
• Reggae Heroes Salute in Westmoreland,
• John Holt And Friends at Caribbean Show place Montego Bay,
FANTASIA,(2004 AMERICAN IDOL WINNER), CIARA, FABOLOUS, AKON,SANCHEZ, LIONEL RICHIE, ABDEL WRIGHT, DESTINYS CHILD (FEAT BEYONCE), SEAN PAUL, WAYNE WONDER, THIRD WORLD, JA RULE, ASHANTI, ALICIA KEYS, SNOOP DOGG, SHAGGY, DAMION (JR GONG) MARLEY, BURNING SPEAR CULTURE, REYVON, BRRRINGTON LEVY, ABDEL WRIGHT, CAPLETON, BENIE MAN, BERES HAMMOND, MORGANS HERITAGE, SIZZLA, ABMIRAL TIBET, JIMMY RILEY, SUGER ROY, BOUNTY KILLER, JAY-Z AND THE ROCKY FELLA CREW, PRODUCT G&B, NEUTRAL, GREGORY ISAACS, HALF PINT, GEORGE NOOKS, GLEN WASHINGTON, PAUL ELLIOT, LUCIANO, ADMIRAL TIBET, COCO TEA, VC, CHINEY EYE, DYCR, ABIJAH, GHOST, CECIL,TONY REBEL, LUCIANO, STEVE FACE, TOOTS HIBBERT,LAVASKA, MARCUS I, RICHIE STEPHENS, BENGI MYAZ, JUNIOR REID, ERNIE SMITH, CUTTY RANKS, THE GRACE THRILLERS, A J BROWN, JACK RADDICKS, MIGHTY DIAMONDS, RICHIE SPICE, TONY REBEL, EDI FITZROY, AARON SILK, SUGAR MINOT, JOHN HOLT, PAT KELLY, STRANGER COLE, LLOYD PARKS, SHAWN PAUL, MR VEGAS, TANTO METRO AND DEVONTE, LADY SAW, JA MEL, ZINK FENCE, YELLOWMAN, JUNIOR KELLY, SINGING MELODY, FINNIGAN AND RANKIN, YASUS AFARI, KERI, SHALOM, JESSIE IYESUS, EVERTON BLENDER, MONTEGO BAY'S FOUR MEN GROUP D’ SYNDICATE and a host of local entertainers.
Mackie Conscious, who sees himself much more than an entertainer, is on a mission not to compete, but to complete the works of the late icons like, Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Jacob Miller, Dennis Brown, Garnet Silk, and all others who have started the work making the original form of or real reggae music. He thinks with this mission he can make a difference, joining hands and hearts with other workers in this field to save the next generation, our children, our future. Loving people more than money is to prevent us from being our own enemies. Mackie quotes, “I am leaving no stones unturned because to be a day late is like a dollar short. Never put off today for tomorrow, do what you have to do today and if you like it you do it tomorrow again. And as far as I am concerned, my today is too short so I have to be doing overtime. Don’t wait not even on someone to call you, you call them! The time is now,”
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Box 739 Montego Bay #2 www.mackieconscious.net
Jamaica WI firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone (876) 940-6511/ email@example.com
USA 1 413-391 1261