MARTIN PAGE – BIO
MARTIN PAGE, who hails from Southampton, England, first gained recognition as a songwriter in the early 80’s with Top-40 hits for Kim Carnes and Earth, Wind & Fire, among others. With Bernie Taupin, whose usual partner was Elton John (and with Dennis Lambert & Peter Wolf), Page wrote “WE BUILT THIS CITY,” a Number One Hit for Starship (their first) in 1985. Page and Taupin returned to Number One the following year with “THESE DREAMS,” recorded by Heart (also Heart’s first chart topper). Teaming up with Peter Cox and Richard Drummie of the UK group Go West, Page wrote “KING OF WISHFUL THINKING,” which was featured in the movie “PRETTY WOMAN,” and became a Top Ten hit for GO WEST in 1990, and “FAITHFUL,” another hit for Go West. With Robbie Robertson, Page penned the critically acclaimed “FALLEN ANGEL,” featured in Robertson’s first solo album. Page has also written for, produced or worked with such artists as The Commodores, Barbra Streisand, Tom Jones, Paul Young, Brian Ferry, Phil Collins and Josh Groban, among many others. As a Songwriter/Recording Artist, Page gained success in America for his own band Q-Feel, with the dance hit, “DANCING IN HEAVEN,” which brought him to this country in the early 80’s; and later, Page’s debut solo LP “IN THE HOUSE OF STONE AND LIGHT” was released in 1994. In 1995, its title track became a substantial pop and adult contemporary hit – breaking the record as the longest charting single in Billboard’s A/C Chart history, and garnering Billboard’s “1995 Top Adult Contemporary Single Of The Year” Award, and ASCAP’s “most played” Award for 1995 and again for 1996 at ASCAP’s ANNUAL POP AWARDS. In 2007, Page started his own independent label, IroningBoard Records and within a year released his 2nd solo album, “IN THE TEMPLE OF THE MUSE”. Page is now releasing, "A TEMPER OF PEACE", his 2nd release from IroningBoard Records.
MARTIN PAGE - ADDITIONAL BIO FACTS
Born in Southampton, England
1980: Signed first publishing deal in London (with Zomba).
Formed recording group Q-FEEL: 4-piece band in which Page was lead singer, bass player,
key writer, co-producer.
Q-Feel signed Recording contract w/ Jive Records.
1982: “DANCING IN HEAVEN” - Q-Feel single released in USA.
(Re-released in ’85 & charted in Billboard Hot 100)
* Co-written, co-produced & performed by Page, it became one of the biggest cult dance records of its time on the West Coast, especially in Los Angeles, California, and in St. Paul, Minnesota.
(Is still played regularly on KROQ and Star 98-retros)
* Penned, produced & recorded Q-Feel album - released internationally.
MARCH 1983 - Moved from London to Los Angeles.
Once in Los Angeles, Page rapidly formed many important creative and business liaisons, which included Bob Cavallo (Former manager of Prince, Ray Parker, Jr., EW&F, Alanis Morriset, etc., currently managing Seal and Chairman of Buena Vista Music Group). Since 1985, Page has been managed by Diane Poncher, formerly of Cavallo’s management firm.
Page proceeded to collaborate with some of the top writers of our time (see list below) and enjoy chart success with major song covers, including Kim Carnes, Earth, Wind & Fire, Barbra Streisand, The Commodores, Neil Diamond, etc. In 1985 Page had his first two back-to-back No.1 Pop Smash records co-written with Bernie Taupin - “We Built This City” for Starship, immediately followed by “These Dreams” for Heart, and he has never looked back. Key hits that followed: “King of Wishful Thinking” and “Faithful” for Go West, “Fallen Angel” for Robbie Robertson, “In The House Of Stone And Light” for himself, etc.
1994/5: Page signed his first solo recording deal with Mercury Records and later released his debut single, “IN THE HOUSE OF STONE & LIGHT”, which was a Billboard Top-12 pop hit, and reached #1 in the AC and HAC R&R and Billboard charts, where it held the record as the longest-charting single in Billboard’s Hot A/C chart history (over 55 weeks). “IN THE TEMPLE OF THE MUSE” is Page’s 2nd solo album, and the first release on IroningBoard Records, Page’s independent label.
Some of the award-winning songwriters, producers and artists with whom Martin Page has worked or co-written include the following:
Phil Collins, Sir Elton John, Robbie Robertson, Maurice White, Bernie Taupin, Robbie Williams, Barbra Streisand, Dame Elaine Paige, Tom Jones, Go West,
Josh Groban, David Foster, The Blue Nile, Ray Parker, Jr., Paul Young, Philip Bailey, Bruce Hornsby, Martha Davis, Eddie Money, John Waite, Tina Arena, Jack Hues (Wang Chung), The Commodores, Grace Slick, Mickey Thomas, Hal David, Air Supply, Melissa Manchester, Robbie Nevil, Ivan Neville, Jason Chef/Chicago, Kim Carnes, Stephen Bishop, Peter Wolf, Hamish Stuart, Samantha Fox, Lee Ritenour, Cher, Jon Lind, Diane Warren, Franne Golde, Allee Willis, John Bettis, Peter Collins, Tim Friese-Greene, Mike Shipley, Richie Zito, Michael Masser, Georgio Moroder, Michel Colombier, etc.
PROJECTS ON WHICH PAGE HAS PARTICIPATED:
MARTIN PAGE / IN THE HOUSE OF STONE AND LIGHT ALBUM - (Mercury) July 1994
• 1st Solo LP - Wrote, arranged, performed & produced entire LP (2 songs co-written w/ Taupin)
PAUL YOUNG - (CBS) May 1988
• Co-wrote, arranged, produced, played keyboards & sang background vocals on “OUR TIME HAS COME” on the album, released in 1990.
BERNIE TAUPIN / TRIBE SOLO ALBUM - (RCA) May 1987
• Produced and arranged album; co-wrote entire LP w/ Taupin, arranged programmed drums, performed as bass & synth player & background vocalist, etc.
ROBBIE ROBERTSON SOLO ALBUM and STORYVILLE ALBUM - (Geffen) 1987
• Co-writer (w/Robertson) of 2 songs on the debut solo LP, including the critically-acclaimed “Fallen Angel”, on which Peter Gabriel sings background vocals (and “Hell’s Half Acre”). Page is the only outside writer on entire LP with the exception of one song co-written by Robertson with U-2.
• Page played keyboards & bass on selected tracks.
• Also co-wrote “Sign of The Rainbow” on the subsequent “Storyville” LP
TOM JONES ALBUM (JIVE/RCA) 1989
• Wrote, arranged and produced “Who’s Gonna Take You Home Tonight” - Key cut on album, which LP also included the cut “Kiss” produced by ART OF NOISE.
MAURICE WHITE SOLO ALBUM - (CBS) 1985
• Associate Producer, bass & synth player, vocalist, composer and lyricist. Co-writer of majority of the songs on the LP.
RAY PARKER, JR. - GHOSTBUSTERS SINGLE - (ARISTA) 1984
• Played synthesizer and other musical instruments on this song, which won a Grammy Award for its instrumental performance.
STARSHIP ALBUM - (RCA) 1985
• Sang background vocals on “Love Rusts”; co-wrote w/Taupin “Love Rusts” and "We Built This City”, which was nominated for a Grammy, won the ASCAP Pop Award - 1986, and gave Starship their first #1 hit record (international smash) of their long career.
EARTH, WIND & FIRE / ELECTRICUNIVERSE ALBUM - (CBS) 1984
• Wrote and co-wrote many of the songs
• Played keyboards, etc.
JOSH GROBAN / CLOSER ALBUM (143/WB RECORDS) 2003
• Wrote, arranged, produced and played on “Mi Morena” on the Internet Edition and the Special Limited Edition of this multi-platinum album. “Mi Morena” was also included in Josh Groban’s “LIVE AT THE GREEK” CD and, in 2007, HALLMARK’s Valentine’s 6-song Josh Groban CD.
Q-FEEL ALBUM – (Jive/Arista) 1982
• Co-produced, Co-wrote, Arranged, played bass & keyboards, etc. , and sang lead and background vocals on all tracks on the album, including the hit, “DANCING IN HEAVEN (ORBITAL BE-BOP)”.
VARIOUS ARTISTS / ABRAZOS 2007 COMPILATION ALBUM - 2008
• As one of the featured artists on this album (the proceeds for which go to the Susan G. Komen Foundation for breast cancer), Page wrote, arranged, produced, played and sang the song "Healing Waters" (listen at myspace.com/abrazos2005).
MARTIN PAGE / IN THE TEMPLE OF THE MUSE – (IroningBoard) April 2008
• 1st Independent release on Page’s label - Wrote, arranged, performed, recorded & produced entire album.
ROBBIE WILLIAMS / THE GREATEST HITS 1990-2010 IN AND OUT OF CONSCIOUSNESS (3 CD Deluxe Edition) October 2010
• Wrote, arranged, Co-Produced & played on the track, "The Long Walk Home".
MARTIN PAGE / A TEMPER OF PEACE - (IroningBoard) July 2012
• Wrote, arranged, recorded, produced, played and performed the entire abum.
Also, played and sang on and/or produced and/or wrote tracks on various other albums for these artists and film projects, among others: JOHN WAITE, BONE SYMPHONY, TEDDY PENDERGRASS, KIM CARNES, CURT SMITH (of Tears For Fears), TINA ARENA (Album sold Triple Platinum in Australia within 3 weeks of release), NEIL DIAMOND, THREE GRACES, ELAINE PAIGE (Album went Gold in England), THE OSMONDS, PHENOMENON soundtrack, PRETTY WOMAN soundtrack, CATS DON'T DANCE animated film soundtrack, DAYS OF THUNDER soundtrack, CADDYSHACK II soundtrack, GIRLS JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN soundtrack, THE MUPPETS soundtrack, ROCK OF AGES soundtrack, etc.
facebook.com/martinpagemusic martinpage.com myspace.com/martinpage