Songwriter Steve Eaton (who wrote Ragdoll on Art Garfunkel's album) writes:
"Just recently Rick gave me a new CD that he created called “Boxing Above my Weight” and sub-titled “Clean jazz for dance and the open road.” He is a musician friend of mine who plays killer Jazz guitar.
I have listened to it twice in my car while traveling to a couple of my own gigs and I have to say it is one of the best cruising CDs I have heard in quite a while. I like it because the arrangements are well structured with very colorful chord changes that take me back to the feelings I get when I listen to Henry Mancini.
I’m not sure which song on this CD is my favorite because I actually like them all. Any one of these compositions would fit nicely in a Peter Seller’s movie. If you like instrumental music that actually makes you feel good, this well produced and arranged compilation of 13 songs will adjust your attitude and put you in a great mood."
* I am a composer/ performer currently working with studio & live tracks for movie, video, dance, and support audio.
* Contributing to multiple types & styles of content to facilitate a good listening experience first: my focus is on tune concept.
* Tunes are written also with a mind to support artists who want to collaborate with their own lyrics, place their own lead instruments, add their unique style or expand to big band charts.
* I have been performing on guitar or bass for most of my adult life, recently working in various jazz combos, and currently, I have completed three albums that I wrote and produced. The tunes tend to cross into a mix of styles- country violin over a jazz chord structure for example. Growing up in the New York City area, local music festival influences have been a source of great blend ideas for compositions.
* My day job for many years was a sound & vibrations engineer up until the outsourcing craze. I now volunteer as a sound engineer for the Idaho Songwriters Assn. and play a weekly jazz duet gig at a local restaurant. And when I can, run sound at the Sapphire Room in Boise Idaho. That's a great exposure to new ideas.
* Married, 2 daughters.
* The biggest risk is not taking one. So take that leap.