ABOUT: Steve is a lifelong artist and musician who began releasing music in the early 90’s in the experimental genre under the name, “Augur." with more than 20 limited edition releases on various independent labels. In 2003, he began creating in the field of "ambient" under my own name. Brand describes this change in moniker and musical expression as, "part of the process of moving out of my head and more into my heart." Since then, Steve has issued a number of self-released disks, as well as releases on the esteemed U.S. labels, Hypnos, AtmoWorks, Relaxed Machinery, the Italian label, Afe, and most recently on his own label, Pioneer Light Music.
- Selected tracks have been featured on Stephen Hill's nationally syndicated radio show "Hearts of Space" on 9 occasions (October 2007 "Darkwater" edition, August 2008 "Reading the Bones" edition, July 2010 "Heatwaves" edition, and October 2010 "The Crossing" edition, May 2011 "Timescapes" edition, August 2011 "Desert Solitaire" edition, February 2012 "Supernatural” edition, July 2013 "Heatwaves" edition, May 2014 "Heatwaves" edition (repeat), July 2016 "Desert Solitaire" edition (repeat), July 2016 "Summertronica 7" edition.
- Continues in rotation on SomaFM's DroneZone, StillStream.com and Reneé Blanche’s “Night Tides” on KCUR/NPR.
- In January of 2010, my Hypnos Secret Sounds release, "Children of Alcyone" was named one of Star's End's "Top 15" for January 2010.
- "Avatara," released on Hypnos Records in April, 2010, was named as one of Stars End "Top 10" for July and August of 2011, and Galactic Travels "Top 20" for December, 2011.
- June 2011, interviewed along with Renee Blanche of Night Tides, on KCUR 89.3/NPR, "Central Standard" with host, Jubilani Lafall.
- My Hypnos Secret Sounds releases, “Bridge To Nowhere” and “Children Of Alcyone,” were on Dave Butler's “Spectral voyages” (on KRSC Kentucky) “Top 20” for April 2012.
- Music is frequently by respected ambient music reviewers John Shanahan/The Hypnagogue (hypnagogue.net) and Richard Gürtler (www.discogs.com/artist/390039-Steve-Brand).
- Interviewed by Michael Foster of Ambient Visions August 3, 2013.
- “The Great Hoop” was included Scott Raymond's “Secret Music” Top 20 Playlist for October 2013.
- Frequently ranked in the top 10 of “Top 30 Artists by Listeners” and “Top 30 Artists by Spin” on the Drone Zone/SomaFM charts.
REVIEWS: Steve’s music has been described as “ambient,” “tribal,” “ritualistic,” “a direct link to our ancient, and arcane ancestry,”“…not mere music, but an almost shamanic attempt at deconstructing our interpretation of reality, by connecting us to an anti-technological, primal psyche,” and “Brand has tapped into a sound or feeling that’s at the core of all things, a universal essence.” Hypnos Records says of Steve,“ (he has)…quickly established himself as one of the more interesting and distinctive artists working in ambient music…” And Hypnagogue Reviews wrote, “Brand’s flows are richly layered, shifting constantly and gracefully.”
PERSONAL BACKGROUND: “For me, music is more than just notes, chords, arrangements, applied theory or an object for sale. From the earliest times, musical been our attempt to mimic and honor our surroundings. Music has also been our means of organizing, communicating and understanding our history, experiences, feelings, emotions and memories. Intuitively, on some level, we have always understood the power of music to release us from the tyranny of the commonplace, from the constraints of a materialistic and overly rational world, as well as it’s potential to create new understanding, insight, expression and ways of being. Music can unlock ancient, even timeless memories, and aid us in redefining our personal and collective present and future. My intention is to make expansive, adventurous, mysterious, uncompromising music that honors these principles and share it with as many others as possible.” – Steve Brand