Yael Acher “Kat” MODIANO
Flutist / Composer / Educator
-"Spell binding, action packed and deeply original"- Berlingske Tidende, Copenhagen.
-”The alert and poetic flute of the leader interact their inventive lines, supported by a dynamic energetic rhythm”- JAZZ magazine, Paris.
- “The idea of light emerging, dying, emerging again is a sensual one and it is done here with great beauty and avocation” – New Music Connoisseur, NYC.
-“Suite for the Spirits” conjures water nymphs with subs aqueous wow drifting overdub interplay, wavy arpeggios, and eerie inhalations… Sophisticated multitracks and electronics create glinting, spooky “Audio Images”.” By Fred Bouchard, All About Jazz, NYC.
- "Yael Acher is a flutist who isn't about faking the funk. Instead of floating diaphanous tones on top of innocuous smooth jazz, her hard-edged Junk Kat Modiano ensemble is run from the kick drum."- Time Out, New York.
- “A bold, daring Bach –solo by the flutist Yael Acher, which initiates the spatial body energy in the beautiful pillar-yard, with her crispy tones and her androgynous jacket suit movements.”- INFORMATION, Copenhagen.
Background: A native of Tel Aviv, Yael Acher “Kat” Modiano received her BA in Classical Flute Performing Arts from the Rubin Academy in Jerusalem. She lived and worked also in Copenhagen for over a decade, and came to New York City as a Fulbright scholar to study Composition at NYU and Hunter College in 2005. Since then she resides in NYC.
As an Educator: Modiano currently holds individual Flute teachings - for all ages, and levels- in Classical and Rhythmic music, and Music Appreciation groups in New York City’s 5 boroughs.
As a Multiple genre performer / composer she works within; Contemporary, Classical, Progressive Jazz, Tango, Free Improvisation and Electronic-Acoustic live soundtracks for legendary silent films and Music for Choreography.
Among her many credits are Performances and Commissions in Europe, Israel, USA and Canada:
Leading Jazz group: ”KAT” & Modiano Quartet with original electro-instrumental progressive groove jazz since the early 90’s in DK and continuing in NYC and Europe, in collaboration with rappers, DJs and video artists. Performances throughout Europe and New York, at: Blue Note, Dizzy’s Club Coca Cola, BAMcafé, Bargemusic, NJPAC (New Jersey Performing Art Center), Copenhagen Jazz Festival, Copenhagen Jazzhouse, Malmo Jazz Festival, and many more.
Solo Classical, Contemporary Electro-acoustic performances at: Roulette, Church of Transfiguration, Church of Heavenly Rest, Rubin Museum in NYC and Brooklyn, Sound Symposium festival in Canada, Lund Dom Church, in Sweden, Round Tower in Copenhagen, Denmark, Braila New music Festival in Romania, Lille in France and more.
Also: performances at Shelters for Domestic Violence and Juvenile Detention Centers, Senio Centers and Hospices in NY, NJ and CT.
Performances /Commissions of Music for Choreography at: Susan Dellal Centre for Modern Dance, in Tel-Aviv, the Fringe Festival, in Edinburgh, Lille2004, in France, Copenhagen Summer Dance Festival, Tribeca PAC in NYC, Fire Island Dancers for Aids, NY and Las Vegas University and more.
Live soundtrack for Silent Film: Lincoln Center Library for Performing Arts in NYC, Queersicht, in Bern, Switzerland, Outfilm, in Hartford, CT, Danish film Institute, Cinematek in Copenhagen, TLVfest, international LGBT Film Festival and Spectacle Theater, in Brooklyn and more.
Collaborations as a composer/performer with choreographer/dancers:
Kim Itoh (Japan), Tim Rushton (UK, DK), Mink Colbert Dance (Europe and USA) and Ellis Wood (NYC), Prismatic Production and Ollom Dance (NYC), Corvino Ballet (NYC).
Reviews and Feature articles internationally: New Music Connoisseur, Cadence Magazine, All About Jazz in NYC, Jazz Magazine in France, Third Ear, in Israel, Jazz Special in Denmark and more.
Broadcasts in radio stations in: Denmark, Spain, France, Rumania Canada, Mexico and the USA.
Awards and Grants: Fulbright Commission Scholarship, Foundation for Contemporary Art, Northern Manhattan Arts Alliance, American Scandinavian Society, Lower Manhattan culture Council, Copenhagen Culture Foundation, Danish Art Council, Danish Artists Union, Danish Jazz Foundation, Danish Musicians Union, and more.
- “Redcar”, MODIANO 0501, featuring “KaT”-inDustrial, releases in DK 2001.
- “MODIANO”, MODIANO 0203 featuring “KaT”-inDustrial, released DK 2003
- “La Belle Ombre”, Capstone Records CPS-8768, Contemporary flute&electronics, released in NY 2006
-“KAT” &”MOON” in Manna-hata- Jazz and Electro-acoustic flute- released in NYC 2014.
Other recordings and compilations:
- Compilation: Classical and Crossover Chamber Music- Syrinx Duo (flute and harp), Trio Dolce (flute, violin/viola and cello)- recorded 2008- not released.
- “Buddy & Soul”- DVD production (flute & effects and guitar- funky jazz duo)- recorded 2009- not released.
- “Kat” Modiano Quartet live at BAMcafé, recorded 2010- not released.
- Solo Flute concert at Church of Heavenly Rest- Contemporary and Classical. 2012
- “Electro/acoustic Music for Choreography”- Compilation of compositions 2006-2013
More recording and video available on the website and youtube links below: