THE ARTISTE – At a Glance
Name : Claudia Edward
Stage Name : “Claudia”
Nationality : St. Lucian, but born in Martinique
• Began performing professionally at age 14, starting out as a lead vocalist in church choir
• 1997 – Enrolls in voice training classes in New Jersey. Makes recording debut with the single “Reason to Love” with Gale Frank, off the compilation “Ricky D & Friends”.
• 1998 - Featured on the single – “Electricity” by Square One out of Barbados singing alongside Alison Hinds; the song becomes a chartbuster in the English, Dutch and French Antilles.
• 1999 – Releases first album featuring title song: “Sha La La”. Album features remix of Shania Twain’s “Still the One”.
• (Year) – Nominated for Best Female Artiste of the Year.
• (Year – Year) – Becomes a radio announcer, regarded as top female on-air personality and dubbed “The Diva”
• 2002 – Makes first appearance at St. Lucia Jazz, later performs at Grenada’s Spice Jazz Festival
• 2003 - Makes her solo debut at St. Lucia Jazz performing during Teatime Jazz. August 2003 – Launches second CD “Dedication” featuring 9 original tracks including “Sha La La” remix, also includes “Don't Wanna” which has a music video. Other songs on the album: “Lost Without You” and “How Could You” also hit the charts big, locally and regionally
• 2005 - Tours Europe with Nobel Laureate Derek Walcott; she is lead vocalist in Walcott’s play “The Odyssey”, also playing the major role in his play “Helen of Troy”.
• 2009 – Performs again at St. Lucia Jazz, this time with her own band, “Naked Chords” as main acts for Tea Time Jazz and Jazz on the Green – an upscale private annual Jazz fundraiser by St. Lucia Golf Club.
• April 2010 – Launches 3rd CD “Mic-Check” and music video “Hey Boy”. Album features collaborations with Jamaica dancehall King Beenie Man “Bad Girl” Michele Henderson out of Dominica “Tonite” and other Saint Lucian musicians including Boo Hinkson, “Longing”, Q-Shan “The Struggle” and Mubarak “Hey Boy”
• Claudia writes most of her own material and has collaborated with internationally renowned St. Lucian musicians Ronald Boo Hinkson, Christopher Neil, T C Brown as well as famed music producer Jonathan Waller of the United States.
• She has performed in Barbados, Costa Rica and in the neighboring French Isle of Martinique
• New album “Mic Check” features Claudia singing in French and English on one of the tracks (“Tonite”)