I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day - A Four Week Journey
See the video journal here - http://youtube.com/hellomorningband
Week 1 - We decided to record a Christmas song spent a day or so trying to decide on the right song, and then got together to start working on our arrangement. With so many versions of Christmas songs out there, it took some time to come up with our own unique arrangement and decided on things like tempo, key, and feel, while recording the basic drum elements at the same time.
Week 2 - Most of the tracking took place individually. We’re lucky enough to be able to record a lot of stuff in our own homes, so we would record and edit parts, then email them around for feedback, and to build & expand the other instruments around each other.
Week 3 - Parts are finalized and vocals are recorded, again in our homes. We also asked Gabe Sprenger, who did the art for our EP, if he could come up with a Christmasy version of our album art. He did a great job and we owe him thanks and Merry Christmas.
Week 4 - We sent it via the web, to a friend who happens to be a producer & mixer, who offered to mix it for us. After a few mixes were sent around for feedback, we came to a finished version that we were all happy with, and then presto - the song hit the web and everyone had a happy holiday.