“…one of the most complete players of the instrument worldwide. Drive, sensuality of tone, elegance and breathtaking technique, a combination of introvert poetic themes with extrovert elements – he is a wonderful musician.”
Ulrich Olshausen, Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung, November 10, 2004 (Daily newspaper, Frankfurt, Germany)
“Alto saxophonist Andrew Robson is one of the most talented jazz musicians to emerge on the Australian scene in the last decade.”
The Sydney Improvised Music Association, September 2002
· Andrew Robson is one of Australia’s premier alto saxophonists and composers. He performs nationally and internationally with groups including; Mara, Mike Nock’s Big Small Band, Ten Part Invention, the World According to James and his own group, the Andrew Robson Trio.
· July/August 2005 Andrew performed in UK, Italy and Bulgaria with the MARA Ensemble. These included appearances at WOMAD (Reading, UK) and legendary Kopristitsa folk festival (Bulgaria), making MARA one of the only western groups to have performed at this festival.
· In 2004 Andrew toured the United States with Ten Part Invention. This tour included performances at the Chicago Jazz Festival and the Kennedy Centre for the Performing arts in Washington DC.
· In November 2004 Andrew performed at the Berlin Jazz Festival with his trio
· He won the distinguished 2003 Freedman Jazz Fellowship, for which only 12 musicians nationally were invited to apply.
In 2001, Andrew won an Australian Record Industry Association (ARIA) Award for Best World Music Album for Live In Europe, by the Mara Ensemble. This CD featured two of Andrew’s compositions.
Andrew has also been twice nominated for an ARIA Award for Best Jazz Album for his recordings Sunman (2001), and On (2003). Andrew was nominated for Jazz Instumentalist of the Year in the 2004 MO Awards. In addition, the Andrew Robson Trio's first album Scrum was short-listed for Rhythm Magazine's Album of the Year and was nominated for the ABC 24 Hours/Classic FM Australian Jazz Album of the year 1997.
Andrew has performed internationally with numerous jazz and world music groups. Tours have included performances at the Berlin Jazz Festival, Chicago Jazz Festival, Greenwich and Docklands Festival (London), WOMAD (Reading, UK), Bim Haus (Amsterdam), and prestigious jazz clubs in Germany such as Unterfaht (Munich) and Stadtgarten (Cologne).
As part of the Mara Ensemble (a world music group), Andrew has performed in Vietnam, Laos, Taiwan, Singapore, China, the Czech Republic, Italy, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Canada, the United Kingdom and New Zealand.
Andrew has also toured throughout Europe with Hungarian bandleader Jackie Orszaczky, including Hungary, Austria and Slovenia.
Within Australia, Andrew has performed at key venues, concerts and festivals including the Sydney Opera House as a guest with the Opera Australia Orchestra, the Wangaratta Jazz Festival, Perth Festival, Bellingen Jazz Festival, Darling Harbour Jazz Festival and Manly Jazz
Festival. Andrew also performs regularly at the Sound Lounge, Sydney’s key contemporary jazz venue.
In Australia, Andrew Robson has performed and recorded with some of the country’s most celebrated talent including Mike Nock, Ten Part Invention, James Morrison, Barney McAll, Tony Buck, The catholics, Sandy Evans Group, The Umbrellas, The World According to James, Clarion Fracture Zone, James Muller, Wanderlust, Vince Jones, Monica Trapaga, Ed Kuepper, the Mighty Reapers, Marcia Hines, Tim Finn, You am I, Renee Geyer and The Whitlams.
He has also appeared with touring American blues artists Terry Evans, Cornell Dupree and Jon "King" Cleary.