Anthony Genge, composer
Karin Aurell, flute
Richard Volet, alto flute
Barbara Pritchard, piano
Mark Adam, marimba
Bryan Townsend, guitar
Anthony Genge, piano
The Blue Engine String Quartet
The Arraymusic Ensemble
A new recording of chamber music by the Canadian composer Anthony Genge.
The seven works on the recording include pieces for solo instruments, duos, a trio for three pianos, Genge’s String Quartet, and a chamber work for 7 players. Six of the compositions are given their premiere recording here, supervised by the composer. The seven pieces date from the late 1970’s to 2003.
Anthony Genge studied composition with Morton Feldman. His music has been characterized by its distinctive harmonic language, elegant orchestration and postmodern mix of musical elements. His works have been performed and commissioned by leading soloists, chamber ensembles and orchestras throughout Canada, the United States, Europe and Japan, and his music has also been used for dance and film. Many of his works have been recorded on various labels.
In addition to his work as a composer, Genge has a busy career as a jazz pianist, performing with leading Canadian and international jazz performers. His critically acclaimed jazz trio recording 'Blues Walk' is available from Roadhouse Records.
Works on the CD:
1. First Duo-for flute and marimba (Karin Aurell and Mark Adam)
2. Canon for Three-for 3 pianos (Anthony Genge)
3. Intermezzo-for 7 players (Arraymusic Ensemble)
4. Night Rain-for alto flute and guitar (Richard Volet and Bryan Townsend)
5. Four Quiet Preludes-for piano (Barbara Pritchard)
6. String Quartet (Blue Engine String Quartet)
7. Grey and White-for solo flute (Karin Aurell)