The Irish & Celtic Music Podcast is a free, bi-monthly, downloadable radio show of independent Irish and Celtic music. It is hosted by Marc Gunn, Celtic American musician and fan of all things Celtic.
ABOUT THE CD
It is truly amazing the amount of GREAT music that is submitted to the Irish & Celtic Music Podcast every day. We're talking world-class musicians, many of whom don't get nearly the attention they deserve.
That's why I started creating compilation CDs. I wanted to showcase some of these amazing artists in ways that they might not be able to do on their own.
This compilation is a lot like listening to the Irish & Celtic Music Podcast. It features an exciting mix of some of the coolest independent Celtic groups out there.
You'll hear rousing drinking songs like Sligo Rag's "The Whiskey Never Lies", bristling tunes like FIMM's "Sweeney's Buttermilk", powerful ballads, like Patrick's Head's "Auld Triangle", and traditional Irish goodness like Jed Marum's performance of "Star of the County Down". You'll find brilliant jigs from Jamie Lavel and Ashley Broder, and even some harp music from Anne Roos.
There are progressive songs like Beth Patterson's performance of "Ye Jacobites By Name" and the carefully crafted Celtic comedy of Ceann with "Almost Irish", a song that is brilliant satire from the lyrical composition to the perfectly out of tune penny whistle that makes light of the musical culture of Celtic ex-patriots in America.
All in all, this is an album that you don't want to miss out on. You NEED this for your St. Patrick's Day celebrations year 'round. And you will enjoy it for many years to come.
1. "Sweeney's Buttermilk" by FIMM from Roiboos e Disappunti, www.fimm-folk.com
2. "The Whiskey Never Lies" by Sligo Rags from The Whiskey Never Lies, www.sligorags.com
3. "The Girls Set" by Banshee in the Kitchen from Live at Painted Sky, www.bansheeinthekitchen.com
4. "Star of the County Down" by Jed Marum with Hugh Morrison and Mason Brown from Sands of Aberdeen, www.jedmarum.com
5. "Hot Days" by Poitin from Hot Days, www.poitin.cz
6. "Chi Mi Na Morbheanna/Sleepy Maggie" by MacTalla Mor from The New Colossus, www.mactalla.com
7. "Almost Irish" by Ceann from Almost Irish, www.ceannmusic.com
8. "Considine's Grove" by Anne Roos from A Light in the Forest, www.celticharpmusic.com
9. "Boys Of Tandragee/Tuesday Morning/Checkered Blanket" by Athas from Athas, www.athasmusic.com
10. "Ye Jacobites By Name" by Beth Patterson from Hybrid Vigor, www.littlebluemen.com
11. "Loch Lomond" by Jesse Ferguson from New Old Songs, www.jesseferguson.ca
12. "The Mason's Apron" by Rattle the Boards from The Parish Platform, www.rattletheboards.com
13. "Jig Jag" by Jamie Laval and Ashley Broder from Zephyr in the Confetti Factory, www.jamielaval.com
14. "Rocks of Bawn" by Maidens IV from Emerald Fire, www.maidensmusic.com
15. "Auld Triangle" by Patrick's Head from Arse Biscuits, www.patrickshead.com
16. "Ormond Sound/Liberty Joe's/Broken" by Pitch the Peat from Far From Home, www.pitchthepeat.com
17. "Wild Mountain Thyme" by Marc Gunn from Slainte!, www.marcgunn.com