Like A Song is Cathy Oakes' first solo piano release. It was recorded and mastered at the Piano Haven Studio in Seattle, Washington under the direction of Joe Bongiorno on a Kawai RX7.
1. Every Day With You – For my husband, Buddy: a song about everyday life as a family with the ups and downs, ins and outs, but always coming back to the easy oneness of soul mates.
2. Just Before Dawn - Inspired by the play of light and shadow as the sun began to rise and snow fell lightly on Lake Tahoe.
3. Like a Song – My soul cries out to You, oh Lord, like a song.
4. Sierra – Longing to be lifted up to a higher place, away from the mundane, up to the mountain tops.
5. Morning Meditation – An early morning prayer on my piano.
6. Breakfast at the Lighthouse – Inspired by the waves of an offshore storm viewed by my husband and me as we sat at breakfast at a seaside restaurant in Pacifica, CA.
7. Laura’s Dance – For my beautiful and talented daughter, Laura, who was born to dance!
8. Falling Waters – Inspired by a drive through Yosemite National Park and a view of its many waterfalls, from small and trickling to vast and earth shaking.
9. A Tender Soul – Written in memory of my late husband, Joel Hudson who died at the age of 47. He truly was a tender soul.
10. The Hope of Joy – Written in honor of my precious friend, Joy Weathersbee. Thank you for your inspiration and support!
11. Surrender – A medley of traditional hymns selected from those my grandmother sang to me as a child. In honor of my steadfast friends, Tom and Colleen Hargrove.
12. You Are – Alpha, Omega, Beginning and End. A worship song.
13. Be Still – A lullaby to me, based on the hymn, “Be Still My Soul.”
14. Last Glance – Inspired by a final glance at one of our favorite places to visit, Lake Tahoe as my husband and I made our way over Mt. Rose and Diamond Peak to return home from a vacation that was much too brief.
Many thanks to:
Joe Bongiorno - for your amazing talent and expertise in recording and engineering, your hospitality, friendship and guidance – you are the BEST!!
Joseph Akins - for your guidance, mentoring and encouragement. I could not have done this without you!
Rhonda Mackert for your friendship, love, inspiration and guidance through the ins and outs of all of this.
Amy Janelle, Philip Wesley, Michael Dulin, David Nevue, Michele McLaughlin and many other solo piano artists for sharing your gifts and your inspiration.
Matt Strieby for you creativity and artistry
My family and friends, too many to name for your prayers and encouragement
My wonderful congregations at Concord, Mt. Lebanon and Mt. Carmel United Methodist Churches for your love and support. You bless me beyond measure.
My mother. You started it all with that first piano lesson at age 5.
Buddy for your undying love, for pushing me beyond my comfort zone, for your beautiful photography for the CD cover and for being my number one fan and soul mate.
Jesus Christ, my Lord, Savior and BFF!