The CHERYL HODGE GROUP
ONE DAY WHEN I WASN'T LOOKING
Piano/Vocals: Cheryl Hodge
Guitar: John Stowell on 1, 3, 5, 6, 7
Brian Cunningham on 2, 4
Bass: Dave Captein
Drums/Perc.: Charlie Doggett
Sax: Josh Cook
(Notes by Cheryl Hodge:)
1. Blessed Be The Day ( ) - music/lyrics by Cheryl Hodge
Sometimes the most valuable relationship happens when a one you thought was lost to you returns!
2. Babylon Sisters ( ) - music/lyrics by Walter Becker & Donald Fagen (Wixen Music Publishing, Inc.)
I imagined a "jazz musician's graveyard" in the middle of Tijuana when we did this version. Josh got it.
3. It Ain't Necessarily So ( ) - music/lyrics by George & Ira Gershwin
This reflects my love for raucous, unapologetic bluesy jazz standards.
4. Cara Mia ( ) - music/lyrics by Cheryl Hodge
A tourist loses their way in Europe and finds love. Just a fun jaunt all rolled up into a salsa.
5. Naima ( ) - music by John Coltrane/lyrics by Jon Hendricks
Jon Hendricks wrote these delicious lyrics to the Coltrane masterpiece; and my,oh,my; John Stowell's guitar!
6. Tree People ( ) - music/lyrics by Cheryl Hodge
Released as a single; won Best Jazz Song 2013 (Hollywood Music In Media Awards), this tells of the plight of the Awa Tribe; an endangered people due to the relentless logging/burning of the Amazon rainforest.
7. Infant Eyes ( ) - music by Wayne Shorter/lyrics by Cheryl Hodge
The lyrics I penned to this Shorter classic are about my now grown son, Dylan Hodge (this is for you, hon!)
Recorded by Mike Doolin “ House of Doolescu” (Portland, OR), Brian Cunningham “Sharp Nine Recording Studio” (Bellingham, WA), and Sacha Muller (percussion tracks on Cara Mia) at Clackamas Community College. Mixed by Brian Cunningham & Cheryl Hodge
Mastered, made and manufactured in U.S. at Nettleingham Audio, Portland, OR. Photographs: Allana Haradyn. Cover: William Rink
All songs which were written by Cheryl Hodge, copyright 2013; Registered thru SOCAN/ASCAP. JazzBoulevard.com Records BOOKINGS thru http://cherylhodge.com