This album is a compilation of material recorded between 1988 - 1994 by some of the founding members of Gandalf Murphy & The Slambovian Circus of Dreams in their former band "The Ancestors." Over the past few years many of our fans requested that we release some of our earlier work, so we decided to fulfill that request with this first release "from the archives".
This record reveals to our friends and fans some of the "missing" years, as it were, through these recordings made by that group.
The Ancestors had a revolving lineup over the years, as you can see in the credits, the most enduring incarnation was the band that toured mainland China in January of 1993. The cover photo is of that band. Left to right:
Sharkey McEwen, Tink Lloyd, Joziah Longo, Bob Muller (Trey Gunn Band), Brian Hardgroove (currently of Public Enemy), and Alistair Farrant (who was engineer and producer for the band in the early years).
Thanks for all of you who helped The Circus get to the point where we are now, and we hope you enjoy this blast from the past.....
Ancient Murphy songs performed by The Ancestors:
Joziah Longo – lead vocals, bass, acoustic and electric guitars
Tink Lloyd – keyboards, flutes, backing vocals
Sharkey McEwen – electric & acoustic guitars, backing vocals
With major contributions by these noble brothers-in-arms:
Alistair Farrant – organ, piano, keyboards, strings on tracks 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 12, 13, 14
Brian Hardgroove – bass on tracks 3, 4, 6, 7, 11, 12, 13, 14
drums on tracks 1, 2, 5, 11
Bob Muller – drums and percussion on tracks 3, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14
1. Already Broken - "A Good Thief Tips His Hat" (1999) Recorded in 1995 - Featuring Tink on digital accordion, Sharkey on bass & strings
2. End of the World - "Brigadoon" (1994)
3. Helo - "Brigadoon" (1994)
4. Turning - Recorded in 1993 - previously unreleased Featuring Alistair on organ
5. (Not Only) Human - "Brigadoon" (1994)
6. Syd - "Brigadoon" (1994) Eddie Kramer producer
7. Naniwan - Recorded in 1992 - previously unreleased
8. Black for the Gold From "The Enemies Dance" (1991)
Featuring Eric Person on saxophone, Alistair on piano, synclavier, Joziah on synths and bass, acoustic guitar, Kelvyn Bell rhythm guitar
9. Just Like Me - "The Ancestors" (1988) Featuring Roy Clark on electric guitars and Nelson Bragg on drums
10. Stand - Recorded in 1995 - previously unreleased
Featuring Sharkey on all instruments and backing vocals
11. Analog - Recorded in 1994 - previously unreleased
12. Watching Cities Fall - Recorded in 1993 - previously unreleased
13. Cathedral - Recorded in 1993 - (construction incomplete!) previously unreleased
14. Just Need Some - "Brigadoon" (1994)
15. The Rain - "The Enemies Dance" (1991)
Featuring Joziah on lead guitar, Roy Clark on guitar, Leon Harris on drums