GIANNI BARDARO SINESTETIC JAZZ is an open and travelling modern jazz project, created and lead by the Italian saxophonist and composer Gianni Bardaro. The international jazz quartet (Italy/Denmark) is "...a clear example of new jazz vibes" and offers a young, fresh but precise sound with a clear understanding of its musical direction. The critically acclaimed quartet is based in Copenhagen and it has been blessed with very well attended concerts together with excellent reviews both at home and abroad. The music is primarily original compositions and arrangements by Gianni Bardaro, inspired by the Synaesthesia phenomen . Synaesthesia means a mixture of sensory inputs, it can be defined as an emotional experience which causes a confusion of the senses. In other words, "synaesthesia” is a confluence and mutual intermingling of different sensory inputs: can one taste a colour? Can one touch a scent? Can one see the sound of the music?...It is not a coincidence that the music of the saxophonist and his quartet / quintet seem to translate emotional states generated by a multitude of sensations in a fresh and innovative jazz language, which winds between various musical influences and not only, involving an alive backround where is possible to feel Latin, Mediterranean and Scandinavian moods. With less then 3 years of activity, the band is expanding internationally its vibes gaining excellent results. After the successfull debut CD titled "Overflow" Gianni Bardaro and his band are making ready the next recording for the winter 2009.
*"Gianni Bardaro is an excellent musician, soloist, composer and arranger. His music is fresh, exciting and yet mellow and groovy. His group is tight and cohesive, complimenting each other throughout the CD. All the compositions will take you on a trip and adventure of musical delight. Any avid fan of jazz will be greatly entertain with this CD"
CARLOS GARNETT (M.Davis,C.Mingus,F.Hubbard, A.Blakey)
* "Bardaro’s music, even while rooted in the tight, collaborative combo approach, is still fresh and new; this is no nostalgia trip or return to some “golden jazz age”. When put into the context of Euro nu-jazz,something like Scandinavian tango (as in “Scandango”) is almost revolutionary. This "sinestetic jazz" should appeal to a wide jazz audience – or, as tenor saxophonist Carlos Garnett, a veteran of bands led by the likes of Miles Davis, Pharaoh Sanders, Art Blakey, Andrew Hill, and Charles Mingus, says, “I recommend this CD to all fanatics of jazz worldwide.” So be it.
BILL SIEGEL – Jazz reviewer - 21 October 2007 USA
*"Italian composer and saxophonist Gianni Bardaro just released "Overflow", an album full of surprises for modern jazz fans. Featuring musicians from Italy, Norway and Denmark the quintet has built a distinct jazz vocabulary based around Gianni Bardaro's compositions. Balancing between lyricism and swing the album has plenty of memorable moments. The sax-piano-trumpet interactions backed by a bold bass-drum section is clearly a winning formula either drawing melodic lines on Song For Dicembre or blending energetic sax-trumpet grooves on Supernova Latina".
STEPHEN BOCIOACA - JazzWorldQuest – Canada
*"The Italian saxophone player Gianni Bardaro is an artist who likes to integrate all the emoctional and material vibes of his creation (in this case the Jazz) in order to generate results which go over the simple empatia and applause: energy that flows freely..."
CAROLINA PROANO WEXMAN - La Prensa national newspaper – Panama
* “...the concert impressed me so much with the combination of several amazing features, such as Gianni's own lyricism and inspiration, the fresh compositive wave, the energy of the band yet its fine dynamic approach, and last but not least the joy he and his band can spread around through playng, definitely an unforgettable experience..." I really suggest all jazz lovers to get his release, Overflow, to start a pleasant journey through one of the most interesting ways of jazz evolution!"
G. CARUSO – Scarlet Balanga – Italy
* “La musica offerta da Gianni Bardaro, artista residente in Danimarca, ha introdotto una ventata di forte novità nel panorama jazzistico internazionale, sia per la qualità delle composizioni, tutte originali, sia per la maestria esecutiva del Quintetto, integrato da giovani musicisti scandinavi. Merito di Bardaro è stato di saper offrire un "sound" chiaro e avvolgente, comunicato con emozione attraverso improvvisazioni ricche di colore e poco convenzionali, comunicate con contagiosa energia, immaginazione e passione. Secondo i dati comunicati dai diversi Festival il Maestro Bardaro ha riscosso ad oggi un successo assai significativo, prova ne sia l'alto numero di ascoltatori, calcolato complessivamente in 17.000 persone.”
C. BIAGI, IIC Bogotá, 26th September 2008
* “Bardaro è bravo a introdurre elementi che rompono la rigidità degli schemi sfruttando la composizione della band e giocando sul contrasto tra sonorità di origine nordica ed esuberanza mediterranea. La tromba algida risulta così perfetto contraltare al sax ruvido e spesso incendiario di Bardaro, mentre improvvise oasi di serenità si insinuano in strutture compositive tutt'altro che tranquille.”
V. ROGGERO, All About Jazz, Jenuary 2009.
* “La sua ultima produzione, denominata "Overflow", nasce nella capitale danese dove il musicista campano risiede ed effettivamente è una produzione discografica che fotografa perfettamente lo stile e le scelte fin qui descritte ovvero una traboccante energia ma anche una notevole e quasi certosina ricerca di frasi melodiche da intervallare alla parti più dinamiche e alle cavalcate solistiche di alcuni dei musicisti che hanno lavorato con lui.”
G. MAVIULLA, Jazzitalia, 11th February 2008.
Gianni Bardaro (sax), Lars Søberg (trp), Francesco Cali (p), Andreas Hatholt (b), Jacob Hatholt (drm)