nature . . . inspired by water . . . calming
diverse in style . . . peaceful . . . passionate
meditative . . . expressive . . . relaxing . . . healing
Thanks for listening. May you find peace and inspiration through nature and music.
1. Claude Debussy's Danseuses de Delphes (Dancers of Delphi), the first of his
Préludes for Piano, was inspired by the replica of an ancient Greek sculpture he viewed at
the Louvre. Three figures slowly turn in a stately ritual dance; this is a masterpiece of
atmosphere which gently drops listeners into a calm state. Performed by Greg Slawson.
2. The Heart Creek is located in the Canadian Rockies, just west of Banff, Alberta.
Many of Greg’s compositions are inspired by this incredible natural area that features
stunning blue glacial lakes, unique shaped rocky peaks and peaceful settings like the one
experienced on a hike beside the Heart Creek. Sounds of the creek, piano and strings
portray the peaceful setting. Written and performed by G. Slawson.
3. Impromptu (Nocturne) in F# major, S.191 by Franz Liszt, reflects his
meditative and solitary state of mind. This piece, one of his later works, displays his
tendency for brevity in a mature and elegant form. The gentle arpeggiated accompaniment
is suggestive of water. Performed by Candice Lee.
4. Venezuela’s Angel Falls, “waterfall of the deepest place,” is the world’s largest
waterfall. This selection, which features an improvised jazz piano solo, includes drums, bass
and world percussion. Written and performed by C. Lee.
5. A trip to New York City can be fun, adventurous and even a bit stressful. Central Park is
a wonderful oasis of calm in the middle of this urban intensity. November Day was
composed to accompany a Water Film that features the tranquility of the park. The solo
piano piece is followed by a contemplative electronic passage. Written and performed by
6. Located on Canada’s west coast, Vancouver, British Columbia is lush even in the winter.
This serene composition, Natural Vancouver, is inspired by the streams, waterfalls,
ocean inlets and lakes that surround the city. Piano and synthesizer are blended in this
recording. Written and performed by G. Slawson.
7. Sergei Rachmaninoff’s Étude-tableau Op.39, No.2 in A minor represents
“The Sea and the Seagulls,” a description suggested by his wife. This is from a set of “picture
pieces” which was his last major work composed before leaving Russia due to the 1917
Revolution – never to return. Performed by C. Lee.
8. The Cuyahoga Valley National Park, in Northeast Ohio, is a source of many creative ideas for
Greg and Candice. Autumn River combines water sounds with piano and strings to
illustrate the reflective mood of the park in the waning days of autumn. Written and performed
by G. Slawson.
9. Debussy owned a Japanese lacquer panel depicting two large goldfish frolicking in a stream.
This inspired the third movement, Poissons d’or (Goldfish) of Images Book II, from the
calm waters to the shimmering arpeggios throughout. Played by C. Lee.
10. Bow Valley Evening was conceived during a winter visit to Banff National Park.
Featuring piano, bass, drums and percussion, this laid-back jazz selection reflects a quiet
evening on Banff Avenue as light snow blankets the town and its twinkling holiday lights.
Written and performed by G. Slawson.
11. Vocalise Op.34, No.14 is a wordless song sung on one vowel and is the last of
Rachmaninoff’s Fourteen Songs, Op. 34. It conveys a deep sense of melancholy and features
a melody of unearthly beauty. Due to its great popularity, Vocalise has been arranged for
many different instruments. C. Lee plays a piano transcription by Alan Richardson, published
by Boosey & Hawkes, Inc.
12. The title track to this album, Pianoflow is an extended piece that combines piano,
strings, a gentle waterfall and synthesizers. This meditative music concludes the CD with the
peaceful energy that one may experience when sitting by a stream in contemplation. Written
and performed by G. Slawson.
Many of the pieces on this CD serve as soundtracks for our relaxing Water Films, which fuse
music with nature scenes to create a peaceful and spiritual experience. The Water Films DVD
can be purchased from our website at GCCreativeStudio.com. You can sample these films
on our site or on YouTube at YouTube.com/GCCreativeVideos.