“Spinal Cord Healing” was created to access the mind-body connection for individuals who have sustained a spinal cord injury. It was inspired by Larry B., who specifically requested that I prepare this audio title. Throughout 2003, Larry provided me with his research about ideas of existing stem cells, macrophages, and neurotrophic growth factors within the spinal fluid, existing nerves that can stimulate nerve cells to elongate and sprout new fibers, repair damage, and create new axons. This audio addresses issues of “body healing”, “emotional healing”, and successful and loving acceptance of the “new self” following a spinal cord injury. Hypnotic suggestions are offered to stimulate the regenerative process that occurs in other body parts, as well as when it occurred during the fetal development stage that gave birth to the individual as a healthy functioning baby.
Body issues address:
• Spinal cord nerves growth, reconnection, and regeneration.
• The awakening of dormant nerves to activity from shock and from non-use.
• The remylenation of existing nerves that can't function because of damaged or missing coverings on axons.
• The repair of the dura (covering over the Spinal Cord) if damaged and/or scarred. The removal of obstructions to growth, such as the compression of the spinal cord from bone, scar tissue, and the unfriendly environment for growing axons.
Emotional issues address:
• Problems of hopelessness, especially new injuries, of seeing no future for their selves.
• Problems of self-worth leading to self-esteem issues.
• Problems of motivation.
• Problems with depression.
• Problems of anger.
• Problems of fear.
• Problems of guilt.
• Problems of body image.
• Problems of goal setting.
• Problems of grieving over your life lost, at least it feels this way compared to the way it had been lived.
• Problems of physical loss of body mobility and body functions (some of which may have previously been most private).
• Problems of personal love and care for their "new" selves.
Steven Gurgevich, Ph.D.
… is a health psychologist specializing in mind-body medicine and is Director of the Mind-Body Clinic in Dr. Andrew Weil's Program in Integrative Medicine at the University of Arizona College of Medicine. He is a fellow and Approved Consultant of the American Society of Clinical Hypnosis. Dr. Gurgevich is the author of over 75 audio programs including The Self-Hypnosis Diet (Audio), The Self-Hypnosis Home Study Course, co-author of Heal Yourself with Medical Hypnosis with Dr. Andrew Weil. In addition to his virtual home at www.HealingwithHypnosis.com, he and his wife, Joy have a private practice in Tucson, Arizona.