The iconic art, pyramids, myths and religion of ancient Egyptian civilization have inspired the music for this CD. To my knowledge, no authentic written texts of their music exist. What I have composed is a set of musical visions that seek to stimulate the listener's imagination about what their music may have sounded like. The 11 tracks are:
1. Tears of Isis. The ancient Egyptian goddess Isis wept for her beloved husband Osiris, who was murdered and betrayed by his own brother. Her tears brought about the annual flood and inundation of the Nile.
2. Anthem to the Rising Moon. This is imagined as sacred music that was played by priests, musicians and guided by highly evolved spiritual masters.
3. Amun-Ra's Anthem to the Rising Sun. This music is an expanded arrangement of my "Anthem to the Rising Sun." It was previously released as a downloadable single.
4. King Tut's Spirit Drum Song. This piece envisions a group of ancient Egyptian drummers gathered in the spirit world who are levitating the stone blocks of King Tut's pyramid.
5. Cheops Activates the Great Pyramid of Giza. This music is an extensive remix of the original downloadable single "Invocation of the Great Pyramid of Giza." It imagines Cheops with musicians and priests "activating" the pyramid to takes its place in the cosmos.
6. War Song of Horus and Sekhmet. This piece is a war song evoking the gods Horus and Sekhmet. The choral text is derived from the Egyptian "Book of the Dead."
7. Song of Isis - Goddess of Peace. This is a sung prayer to Isis celebrating the blessings of peace after the ravages of war.
8-9. Nefertiti's Song of the Magic Birds and Song of the White Goddess. In these pieces it is imagined that the legendary Queen Nefertiti dreams of the magical birds of the Tuat, the mythical land which ran parallel to Egypt. The White Goddess refers to the sacred Ibis.
10. Hymn to Ra and Osiris. These ancient words from the Egyptian Book of the Dead celebrate the coming of Ra as he rises in the eastern horizon, and also the coming of Osiris.
11. Journey of Souls - Isis and the Boat of Amun-Ra. This is a musical vision of the journey of the dead, passing beyond the gates of the Tuat (the realm of the afterlive and the home of the gods.) They must pass by the guardians of each gate, and if successful, eventually will hear the voice of Isis welcoming them to a heavenly paradise.
copyright © 2012