The long-awaited follow up to "watching the girls go by"... this album takes independent-touring-performing songwriter Jason LeVasseur to an equal standing with his major label peers. Although best known for his dynamic live shows across the country, this album will surely advance his reputation as a well-respected recording artist.
Driver Is The DJ is the new album. We love it.
You also don't want to miss out on the "life in general" CDs !!!
Jason LeVasseur has lived around the world — Mexico, Belgium, North Carolina, Massachusetts, New Jersey and soon Nashville — but amid the changes of venue, one thing has remained constant: the award-winning singer/songwriter’s folk-tinged, pop/rock roots.
LeVasseur’s musical formula includes relatable, story-like lyrics backed by his gritty, soulful voice — a voice that Indie-Music.com’s Jennifer Layton called “drawling, weathered (and) warm.” As the Columbia (S.C.) Free Times observed, LeVasseur’s music contains “great songwriting and energy uncommon in acoustic-based music.”
LeVasseur was born in the United States but spent most of his childhood in Mexico and Belgium, finally returning to the States for college — but not before studying French, Spanish and Italian for a year in Italy. LeVasseur’s world travels have influenced his playing style and his perspective on the world, providing material for the often-funny stories he tells between songs during his engaging live performances. LeVasseur’s flair for storytelling is evident on his Authentic Records releases, which include “Driver is the DJ” (2005), “The Opening Guy: Live at Eddie’s Attic” (2003) and “Watching the Girls Go By” (2001). A new live album is scheduled for release in spring 2006.
“It was just LeVasseur onstage with a guitar, harmonica and a voice that blew the crowd out of the water,” wrote Jordan Way in a 2005 concert review in the Stoutonia, the University of Wisconsin-Stout student newspaper. “He was very relaxed as he played his original music, talked with the crowd and cracked jokes.”
Campus Activities Magazine, a publication that has bestowed numerous awards on LeVasseur, agreed, praising his dynamic, audience-pleasing performances — as well as his “smart lyrics mixed with poignant arrangements” — in a January 2006 article.
LeVasseur is one of a handful of artists who are continually re-booked by colleges nationwide.
Other notable career highlights:
• Has opened for Dave Matthews Band, Maroon 5, John Mayer, The Roots, The Wallflowers, Ben Folds, Rooney and other national acts
• Frequent performer and panelist at National Association for Campus Activities regional and national conferences
• Showcase artist and panelist at Atlantis Music Conference (2003)
• Named Campus Activities Magazine’s Best Small Venue Performer (2003, 2005, 2006) and Best Musical Performer (2004, 2005)
• Named the Association for the Promotion of Campus Activities’ Performing Artist of The Year (2005)
• Has contributed songs to movie and video game soundtracks
What the experts say:
• "This is a record with breathtaking vocal parts, gripping lyrical messages, and sharply written instrumental arrangements...The material is pure songwriting magic; poetic lyrics express emotions, love-hate relationships, death, and dance." — Shawn M. Haney, Performer Magazine NE
• "Audience members actually come up to this guy after gigs to share stories and ask for advice, according to another review in his press kit. I can understand why. Jason LeVasseur has a bit of quiet, learned-the-hard-way wisdom in that drawling, weathered, warm voice of his. He writes about easily recognizable situations in language anyone can connect with." — Jennifer Layton, Indie-Music.com
• "During his two-hour set, LeVasseur played catchy songs, their rich melodies accompanied by his, full slightly gravelly voice. In between numbers, he smiled as he related the funny stories behind the songs; which are deeply colored by late-night contemplation about love, hope and finding meaning in life's ups and downs." — Whitman College Pioneer (Walla Walla, Wa.)
• “He is absolutely amazing, and his songs are great.” — Jessica Lawrence, Campus Programming Board President (former), Ohio Wesleyan University (Delaware, Ohio)
• "I was extremely impressed by your engaging personality and ability to win the crowd over through your thoughtful lyrics and magnetic stage presence. You made the first night of our new program a success. You captured the audience’s attention and transformed them into a devoted crowd that watched you, sang along, and pleaded for more. I have seen many acts in my 5 years working in student activities and have never witnessed such a conversion of fans."
— Brooke Vaughan, Student Activities Director (former), Sewanee: The University of The South (Sewanee, Tenn.)
On the Web: