Old Wine/New Bossa: Selected Tracks
Mike Metheny (2011)
Trumpeter Mike Metheny's tenth solo album is a sampler of previously released recordings covering a 20-year period and a wide range of styles. Also included is a fresh version of a track first recorded in 2001.
Mike, who favors the flugelhorn and EVI (electronic valve instrument), grew up near Kansas City, Missouri, where he now lives. For 13 years in the 1970s and '80s he was based in Boston. Featured on this sampler are some of the best jazz musicians from both cities. They are:
Brad Hatfield, Dick Odgren, Paul Smith, Roger Wilder -- piano, keyboards
Marshall Wood, Bob Bowman, Gerald Spaits -- bass
Bob Savine, Todd Strait, Tommy Ruskin, Brandon Draper -- drums
Rod Fleeman, Danny Embrey -- guitar
Olga Román -- voice (track #7)
Special guest: Pat Metheny -- guitar (track #11)
In addition to saluting past and present colleagues with this CD, Mike says there were other factors that led to its release.
"Strictly in terms of my own contributions to nine other solo projects, I've always felt there might be a single good album. So, in many ways, this is the record I wish I'd made years ago.
"It's also a career summary of sorts. There are the Boston and Kansas City musicians, there's flugel and EVI, there's jazz and classical, ballads, bossas and bebop. It's a 12-track, 59-minute set that represents everything in a pretty comprehensive and complete kind of way.
"But most of all it is a reminder of how lucky I've been to collaborate with such talented people over the years... and how much fun it can be when things come together in the studio."
1. Yes, I've Met Miss Jones (mm, composer): straight-ahead jazz w/EVI and trio;
from Close Enough for Love (3 Valve Music), 2001.
2. How Insensitive (A.C. Jobim, composer): slow bossa w/flugelhorn and trio;
from KC Potpourri (3 Valve Music), 2003.
3. Old Wine/New Bossa (mm, composer): contemporary bossa w/horns, EVI and keyboards;
from Street of Dreams (Altenburgh Records), 1996.
4. Are You Real? (Benny Golson, composer): straight-ahead jazz w/muted cornet and quartet;
from KC Potpourri, 2003.
5. Three for Boston (mm, composer): ¾ jazz w/flugelhorn and trio, recorded in 2009;
originally recorded for Close Enough for Love, 2001.
6. Farmer's Trust (Pat Metheny, composer): ballad w/EVI, flugelhorn, piano and keyboards;
from Street of Dreams, 1996.
7. Manitowoc (mm, composer): dreamy semi-classical waltz, w/flugelhorn, EVI and band;
from From Then 'Til Now (Altenburgh Records), 1992.
8. Deceptive Resolution (mm, composer): symphonic tone poem w/flugelhorn, EVI and keyboards;
from Street of Dreams, 1996.
9. Hassell Free (mm, composer): ambient original with Mike (keyboards) on all tracks;
from 60.1 (3 Valve Music), 2010.
10. Brandenburg Concerto No. 3 in G (J.S. Bach, composer): classical adaptation of the "Allegro" movement with Mike on EVI (all tracks);
from Back to Basics (3 Valve Music), 2004.
11. Ta-ta for Now (Mark Hart, composer): contemporary bossa with flugelhorn, band and guest Pat Metheny on guitar;
from Close Enough for Love, 2001.
12. From Then 'Til Now (Dick Odgren, composer): ballad w/EVI, piano and keyboards;
from From Then 'Til Now, 1992.