Phat Man Dee has a voice and a stage presence that rings clear as a bell. Her soulful delivery and heart ripping phrasing make the story of the song come through her body like a mountain rising to meet the sea. Se is as comfortable floating in the air singing to the swells as she is through a megaphone in the Mermaid Parade or the Ides of March March.
She has toured and appeared with The Madagascar Institute of Brooklyn, NY, Candye Kane, the Goddess Perlman's Nice Jewish Girls Gone Bad, the Fat Bottomed Girls Burlesque Review, Chicken John's Circus Ridiculous, Wolgemut, Jazz Mandolin Project, the Bindlestiff Family Roadshow, The Bull Seal! Collective, SEEMEN, the Flaming Lotus Girls and Heavy Pedal Cyclecide.
Though Phat Man Dee was somewhat recently nominated "One to Watch" in the pop music category of Pittsburgh Magazine's Harry Schwalb Awards, Mandy L. Kivowitz was born in 1975 to schoolteacher and a railroad man in Youngstown, OH. She studied music, classical cello and voice, theatre and dance all through childhood and into her brief college career at Allegheny College in Meadeville, PA. She left college to join the circus as Mistah Sistah Phat Man Dee , a half man half woman vaudeville act singing love songs to herself , eating glass, tap dancing, and playing cello while traveling with several variety acts cross country. Since then she has been blessed to work with some of the finest players Pittsburgh's rich musical community has to offer. Working to create an alternate reality for her audience utilizing her friends, be they musicians, poets, belly dancers, fire eaters, painters or circus geeks, Phat Man Dee puts on a show in which the visual texture is as important as the quality and intensity of the music.
Televsion and broadcast appearances include FUSE TV, KDKA Morning Show, WTAE Evening News, CSPAN, Judge Joe Brown (Fox), On Q (WQED), Lynn Cullen's Talk Show (WPTT).
She has appeared at the Improv as an opener for Caroline Rhea (NBC), Joe's Pub (NYC), Cabaret @ Theater Square, Exotic Erotic Ball (SF, CA), NYC Burlesque Fest, the Derby (LA, CA) , Rosemary's Billygoat's Odditoriom (LA, CA)the Andy Warhol Museum and the Great American Music Hall. Her best singing was performed at the Point Arena Lighthouse, and she ever longs for a return. She does love a parade, and to date, parades love her.
One evening will burn forever in the mind of Phat Man Dee, and that was her appearance with the Pittsburgh Opera wherein she sang an entire set of french cabaret love songs at the Benedum Center swinging aloft from a floral swing. (Though the night Circus Rediculous almost burned down the camp site at the Lafayette, Lousiana Festivale Internationale, in a misguided and unfortunate attempt to play flaming soccer ball with the misprinted tour shirts and the Veg-O-Matic of the Apocalypse burns nearly as bright.)
She recently celebrated her wedding anniversary with Tommy Amoeba, her husband of 5 years. They were wed on a pink elephant in Pittsburgh, PA's historic South Side on July 11. 2002.
Phat Man Dee
a.k.a. | Mandy Kivowitz-Delfaver
online electronic press kit | http://www.sonicbids.com/phatmandee
web site | www.phatmandee.com
contact | 412-448-6891 (cell)
email | firstname.lastname@example.org
location | Pittsburgh, PA
gender | Female ethnicity | Earthling age range | 25-40
height | 5"2 eyes | blue hair | brown weight | rubenesque
• latest body of work "Torch of Blue" released June 2007
• 4 song ep "Burning Disc"
• Debut Album, self produced : Life Just Goes On
• Vocal appearances include: The New Hazlett for Women in the Arts Awards 2007, Three Rivers Arts Festival Opening night festivities 2007, The Rex Theatre cd release 2007, The Andy Warhol Museum 2007, Burning Man multiple stages 2006, The Benedum for Pittsburgh Opera's Macaenas in 2003 (French cabaret), Great American Music Hall (San Francisco, CA), Joe's Pub at the Public Theater (NYC, NY), The Gershwin Hotel (NYC, NY), Rubulad and Madagascar (Brooklyn, NY) , The Rainbow Castle (Zelionople, PA), Frick Fine Arts Museum (Pittsburgh, PA), The 5 Spot (Philadelphia, PA), Star Lake Amphitheater (Burgettstown, PA), The Beehive Theater (Pittsburgh, PA)
• cellist, half man half woman vocalist/glass eater for Circus Re-dik-u-less (San Francisco, CA) and The Bindlestiff Family Roadshow (NYC, NY)
• Cellist for Collegium Musicum at Allegheny College (Meadeville, PA)
• Judge Joe Brown (Fox)
• Caroline Rhea (bestowed praises upon Life Just Goes On, NBC)
• On Q (WQED)
• Lynn Cullen (WPTT)
• The Coney Island Mermaid Parade 2007,
• First Night Pittsburgh 2004 (Space Bee Float by M. Gehring, B. Artsberger & E. Keating)
• South Side Summer Street Spectacular married in parade on pink elephant in '02
• Ides of March March, co founder, 1993-present
• Festivale International a Lafayette (Lafayette, LA)
• iMac Internet commercial (girl on floor)
• Big Science anti smoking radio ad (Eartha Kitt & Edith Piaf sound-alike)
• Hat Head tv commercial (mother bathing boy)
• Vocal talent for open source digital voices, Cepstral Inc.
• Holiday ads for Pittsburgh Center for the Arts & Pgh Downtown Partnership
• Gypsy chanteuse, snake dancer, Wild Signs | Bricolage | dir. Jeff Carpenter
• Skinhead, Hence Forward | Irish and Classical Theater | dir. Dan Calman
• Emmaline , Coming Out | Pittsburgh Queer Theater | dir. Ted Hoover
• Sister Berthe, Sound of Music | Allderdice Broadway Connection | dir Ken Lutz
• Inez, No Exit | Allegheny Repertory Theater | dir Beth Watkins
• Pittsburgh Filmmakers | Intro to Digital
• The Music School | voice w/ Beth Claussen
• Centers for the Musically Talented | Paul Critser cello, O'Labrice Beckom, voice
• Zafira School of Dance | bellydance w/ Christine Hamer
• Allegheny College Symphony | Margret Wheeler
• Carnegie Mellon University Pre College | musical theater
"Phat Man Dee - Torch of Blue" released 6/28/2007
a full length album with 16 tracks by Phat Man Dee, Tommy Amoeba, Christiane D, Colter Harper, John Purse, Damon Griffith, and musically directed by Tony DePaolis was recorded at George Heid Studios in Aspinwall, PA
"Burning Disc - a playa compilation 2006"
a 4 song ep distributed at Burning Man with songs about different artists and their creators.
"Phat Man Dee, Life Just Goes On" was recorded at Mr Smalls Funhouse 2002 and re-released again in 2005. It is curently in rotation at WYEP, WRCT, WPTS and the Pittsburgh International Airport. The single "Man Be Man" was included in a 3 disc compilation produced by WYEP and the single "Blue Like Billie" was included in a promotional Pittsburgh cd produced by Tereneh Idia Mosley, director of talent attraction for the Pittsburgh Regional Alliance.
Currently in production for release this fall is "Phat Man Dee, MerryChristmaChannaKwanzaa Vol. 1"
Phat Man Dee - lead vocals
The Liquitones currently include:
Colter Harper - guitar
Tony DePaolis - bass
Jacob Yoffee - saxophone
Christopher Parker - drums
The Liquitones have included:
Pennsylvania John Purse 2000 - guitar
Monogahela Tall Paul Leech 3.1 - bass, mandolin
Keystone Nathan Peck - bass
King of Prussia Alex Peck - drums
Punxatawney Paul Cosentino - clarient
Susquehannah Richard Strong - drums
Korel Tunador - saxophone, accordion
Kenny Paagler - piano, organ
Johnstown Flood Survivor Jeff Cubeta - piano
Reginald Watkins - trombone
Ian Gordon - trumpet
Simon Jaeger - middle eastern percussion
Big Bald Badass Mike Murray - piano