This album is a manifestation of a dream that Sandro Eristavi - a guitarist and songwriter originally from former Soviet Union - had since the 80s: to release an album that would explore blues from various angles both lyrically and musically. The songs included in "Blue Sharp Minor" are the fruition of almost three decades of Sandro's passion for blues, as well as rock, jazz, reggae and classical music.
Briefly about each track:
1. "If", the opening track, is dedicated to Sandro’s son. Written to R.Kipling's poem, the track features Sandro's sister - Tamara Eristavi - with divine vocal, giving the song that jazzy, airy feel.
2. "A Letter To A Business Woman" - bitter, heartbroken blues, written in the 80s, featuring amazing solos of brilliant Californian guitarist Erwin Lui.
3. "9:05PM Blues" - a swinging piece, with intricate guitar and bass solos. Also written in the 80s, touching on the topic of mishandled freedom.
4. "So Slow" - blue-blue blues, taking its sweet time with soulful and temperamental solos on guitar and mouth trumpet (nods to Jeff Beck and Louis Armstrong), against the dark strings background. Conceived around 2010. Recorded live during video sessions. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y648MMuRYW4]
5. "Tell Me" - a very groovy, very recent (2012) reggae-laced blues.
6. "Upside Down Blues" - another one from the 80s, this is a harmonica and honky-tonk piano saloon-sound blues. Almost no story, but a lot of ambiance! Originally was written as a part of a soundtrack for a theater play.
7. "Eyes Of Your Soul" - all acoustic-nylon-brush, hard swinging, head resetting piece. Written in 2013.
8. "Lost In Me" - an exceedingly beautiful, lush, romantic blues starting in the streets of Paris, continuing in search of the passion lost and ending in roaring summer thunderstorm. Written in 2012.
9. "Red Pill, Blue Pill" - the title is a reference to the key moment in the movie "The Matrix". Hard, rocking blues, with unexpected melodic turns and musical nods to Pink Floyd and Deep Purple. Written in 2012.
10. "Slow Blues" - the most recent of all the songs on "Blue Sharp Minor", this one was written in March 2013 in memory of the great Alvin Lee, who played a big part in shaping Sandro's musical tastes and guitar playing.
11. And the last but not the least - "Galaxy" - a 10 minute instrumental composition with multiple themes and overlapping beats, likely to be particularly appreciated by the fans of Pink Floyd and King Crimson/Robert Fripp. "Galaxy" is far form blues. Its significance on this album will be revealed with Sandro's following albums, currently in the works.
All music and lyrics (except "If" lyrics) written by Sandro Eristavi. Recorded in California in 2012-2013.
All instruments and vocals by Sandro, except for female vocals on "If" by Tamara Eristavi and solo guitar on "A Letter To A Business Woman" by Erwin Lui.