2007 International Blues Challenge Winners and 2007 Albert King Best Guitarist Award Winner!!!
Columbus Monthly "Best Band in Columbus" 2007
When it comes down to what "is" and what "isn't," Sean Carney's CD "Life of Ease," "is." It's the Best Rhythm & Blues CD release of 2006.
It's like reaching through a porthole in time of original R&B. Grabbing hold of the real-deal music and bringing the "authentic stuff" back through time and space into the new century. This is it.
It happened. The result is "Life of Ease."
It's the most original sounding rhythm and blues release from a younger artist I've heard in many, many years. The talent and love of the real thing shines through in the body & soul of Sean Carney. Exceptional Vocals, Guitar, and tremendous Bandleader too.
Guest artists include Willie Pooch, Joe Weaver, Teeny Tucker, Gene Walker, Phil Berkowitz.
A sincere congratulations and boy howdy! What a CD!
16 tracks of phenomenal defining R&B.
Everyone----needs to get this CD!
In my opinion-----> Best R&B CD of 2006!
KHDC 90.9 FM
“Sean Carney is the artist and he’s as determined as he is talented and as focused as he is sincere… touring behind a rock-solid disc titled Life of Ease.” - The Edmonton Journal (Canada)
A review from the Sept. 14 issue of the Red Onion (Calgary, Alberta, Canada) e-letter.
"Ever had the feeling that you've been in the presence of greatness? That was the way I felt after watching and listening to the SEAN CARNEY BAND perform last weekend. Those who joined us were witness to one of the finest blues
players to hit the Onion, who combined great style and musical talent with a real ability to entertain. I was left thinking that 'this guy is going to be very successful.' The good news is that we expecting to see them in the new year. Consider yourself notified."
“Sean Carney…the city’s best blues guitarist.” – Columbus Alive!
“Carney has quickly been recognized by his peers, including artists like legendary B-3 champ Hank Marr, and the master of (among others) ’40s-style guitar renderings, Duke Robillard.” – Vintage Guitar Magazine
“…Sean Carney’s superb, keening guitar, like a Collins-King amalgam. He is a name to add to the classy end of the list and, I hope, one that will become a regular sight in blues journals.” – Juke Blues Magazine (UK)
“Ace guitarist… Sean Carney’s fat tone has just enough sizzle on top to cut through; he snaps the bass strings, stings in the treble register, and reels off fleet lines with shivery vibrato accents.” – Blues Revue Magazine
“Sean Carney, a great guitarist!” – Charles Brown
“Sean Carney is hot and simmerin’… with a swingin’ execution.” – Big City Blues Magazine
• The Sean Carney Band successfully completed a tour of Canada in August/September 2006 including The Yale in Vancouver, The Ashcroft Opera House, The Blue Gator in Kelowna, The Stop in Black Diamond, Blues on Whyte in Edmonton, The Red Onion in Calgary, a feature article in The Edmonton Journal and numerous radio appearances to promote the self produced and self released, “Life of Ease,” CD. Upcoming US appearances include The Slippery Noodle Inn in Indianapolis and The House of Blues in Chicago, where The Sean Carney Band will perform “Louis’ Blues,” the music of Louis Jordan, with San Francisco Blues star Phil Berkowitz.
• Sean Carney traveled to France in July of 2006 to perform at The Paris Jazz Festival with Sarah Morrow and Hal “Cornbread” Singer and also performed solo at The One Way Café in Paris and with Jersey Julie at Le Martin Pecheur in Nargis. Carney has performed solo acoustic blues in The Galapagos Islands, Ecuador and Playa Del Jaco, Costa Rica.
• Sean Carney serves as guitarist, co-writer and musical director for blues sensation Teeny Tucker. With Teeny, he has toured the US and Germany (highlights include The Monterey Bay Blues Festival, Biscuits & Blues in San Francisco and The Fleet Blues Festival in New York) performed with Robert Lockwood, Jr. and recorded with “Kaz” Kazanoff and Nick Curran (of The Fabulous Thunderbirds) at Fort Horton in Austin, Texas.
• Sean Carney performed at The New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival with legendary pianist Big Joe Duskin and drummer/producer/journalist Ben Sandmel in May of 2002.
• Sean Carney has served as guitarist and musical director for legendary blues artists Christine Kittrell, Jimmy “T-99” Nelson, Joe Weaver, Johnnie Bassett, Michelle Wilson, Wendy DeWitt and Bo Diddley, Jr.
• Sean Carney serves as Musical Director of The Island Arts Foundation in Ft. Myers Beach, Florida and organizes, promotes and performs at blues, jazz and R&B concerts there throughout the year, including The Fatback Blues Festival. During Black History Month in 2006, Sean Carney brought Willie Pooch and “King Saxe” Gene Walker to The Beach Elementary School for an educational presentation.
• Sean Carney served three terms as President of The Columbus Blues Alliance in Ohio, organizing and promoting concerts featuring pioneering artists such as Charles Brown, Jimmy Witherspoon, Earl Gaines and Hank Marr.