Connecticut-based four-piece Stanley Maxwell plays original music that blends (among many other influences) jazz, funk and rock with tight arrangements and intricate group improvisation. They are a no-nonsense, conservatory-trained group of musicians who share a love for playing soulful music together and making people dance. The band has built a grassroots name for themselves throughout the Northeast since 2001, from colleges and festivals to nightclubs and local bars, as a “must see” experience. Aesthetically, they combine both the virtuosic and the simple into a visceral concoction.
Stanley Maxwell’s independently-produced debut album "Don't Wake The Baby!" was recorded in Bristol, CT by Dan Silvia of Hillgrove Recording (a company based in West Roxbury, Massachusetts) and mastered by Anthony Latt of the LattKave Recording Studio in Yonkers, New York. The album includes "Mousetrap", an eleven-bar blues influenced by Thelonious Monk. The band’s recording of the composition by pianist Evan Green has attracted international attention including:
* "Mousetrap" winning "Best Jazz Song" in the 7th Annual Independent Music Awards, an international program that helps indie artists and releases overcome mainstream obstacles and reach wider audiences by providing year-long promotion, marketing and distribution opportunities that place those selected in front of more than 15 million music fans and industry decision makers around the world in 2008.
* Winning the Relix Magazine November 2007 "JamOff" contest for unsigned artists, with "Mousetrap" featured on the November Relix CD sampler, included with over 100,000 issues of the internationally distributed magazine, dedicated to jam bands and improvisational music.
Notable Stanley Maxwell performances and events include:
* Featured performances at annual festivals and
prestigious venues including
o First Night Hartford (2007,2005,2002)
o Hartford Advocate’s Grand Band Slam (Winner -
“Best Jazz Band” in 2007 Readers’ Poll; 2003
Nomination for Best R&B)
o Old State House
+ Connecticut Brewfest (2005,2004)
+ Lunchtime Summer Concert Series (2003,
o New Haven Jazz Festival
o SoNo Arts Celebration
o Adirondack Music Festival
o Northeast Kingdom Music Festival
o Jonathan Edwards Winery Summer Nights Music
o The Bushnell Center for the Performing Arts
+ The Connecticut Forum
+ Mixed Bag Concert Series
+ Ha! Ha! Hartford
* College tours including Brandeis University, Bryant College, Colby Sawyer College, Curry College, Fairfield University, Framingham State, Maine Maritime Academy, University of Massachusetts, Vassar College, Williams College, and Yale University.
* Serving as the house band at the upscale Zen Bar in Farmington (2004), the trendy Backroom Lounge @ Bottega in New Haven (2003, 2004), and the weekly New York City comedy show "Stand-Up Stew" in Chelsea (2002).
* Chosen out of thousands of acts to showcase at the Northeast Regional Conference of NACA (National Association of Campus Activities) in Marlboro, Massachusetts (2002).
* Selection as the band to play for thousands at the ESPN X-Trials at Lake Compounce Amusement Park (2001).
* Honored by the National Spinal Chord Injury Assocation for support at their benefit concerts two years in a row
Although Stanley Maxwell is mostly an instrumental group, they typically sing a bit at shows and have special guests sit in who sing, rap, and perform spoken word. Some memorable shows have been with The New Deal, Cyro Baptista & Beat The Donkey, The Breakfast, Ryan Montbleau, DJ Le Spam & The Spam Allstars, Dub Is A Weapon, Hypnotic Clambake, Addison Groove Project, Mountain of Venus, Seth Yacovone, Raisinhill, and members of Max Creek.