General Musical Description
This ever-shifting material is a progressive blend of old school and current cutting edge. Somehow, it manages to cover a wide array of different genres, while maintaining its own identity. People hear a surprisingly diverse number of influences in it, yet they are most struck by its individuality.
Each song is different from the others. Each is unique, unexpected, now hard, now soft, and guitar driven. The focus is on the atmospheres and textures created within each piece. Many are dark edged or tinted with mystery. Every song is its own adventure, its own audio landscape. The sound is sometimes both atmospheric and heavy at the same time. While densely complex and layered, it all makes perfect sense to the ear. All of the songs portray both purpose and intent. They are musically emotional and dynamic.
All four members fade in and out of the lead role. While there are many tempo and time signature changes, they never give the impression that they were done simply because the artists are capable of it. Instead, they were only done when they would add intensity or embellish the overall feeling of the song.
This is a concept album with deep lyrical content. All of the song lyrics are available at the band’s website. Even though each song is very different from the others, there is a complete story being told. Lyrical examination may provide a look into the times we live in, ending with a ray of light.
Not just a debut CD, but a debut sound. This is a true Variant.
“Beyond Jargon” is currently being played on conventional, Internet and satellite radio, globally. For a list of stations and additional information, please visit the band’s website at:
You will also find lyrics, reviews, bios, pictures and the latest news there.
Also, please visit the band's Myspace page at:
Here are some samples of what the critic’s have been saying:
• “Variant are a breath of fresh air on the current prog scene…” - Sea of Tranquility, Staff Roundtable Review-
• “One of the better new progressive minded rock bands out there…excellent song writing and composing…” –Ron Fuchs of ProgNaut
• “What I believe this band really needs is more exposure, because they have all the right tools to build a large audience around.” –Tom Hayes, Gnosis
• “…music is infectious…musicianship impeccable…songwriting is ingenious…lyrics are insightful…Variant kicks some serious ass.” –Vince and Daisy hosts of Prog’opolis, on The Dividing Line.
• “an amazing album from a band of four excellent soloists, none of whom try to overwhelm the others…” –Marco Piva, MovimentiProg, in Italy, translated by author.
But why not judge for yourself? Care to take a little audio adventure?
Variant “Beyond Jargon”
There is a new Variant where Progressive, Rock and Metal collide.
(The qualtiy of the CD itself is exceptionally high. This is an actual sealed, retail ready replicated CD.)