Makis Ablianitis (biography)
Makis Ablianitis is an inspired composer and one of the most prominent guitar players in Greece. His relationship with music began at the age of 15 when he got his first guitar. He studied theory by attending seminary courses of Theodoros Antoniou and at the Center of Contemporary Musical Research. Following this, he studied higher theory by graduating from the classes of Fugas and Orchestration with excellent. He concluded his studies at the Berklee Music College of Boston with a scholarship. The period of his studies at Berklee was decisive for his later course as a musician, because at the same time of his studies, he had the ability to play with renowned musicians of the Boston jazz scene.
In 1993 he formed the quartet ‘Jazz Steps’ and in 1995 the group ‘Jazz Crew’. During the period of 1996 - 1998 he was a member of the ethnic group of Michalis Nikoloudis and Omar Faruk Tekbilek, performing at the concerts they gave in Greece and abroad.
His debut took place in 1997 with the album ‘FLAME KEEPER’ (THESIS / 1997). An integral part for his carrier also was his collaboration with the ‘ARTS, DANCE & MUSIC PRODUCTIONS’, in November 1999. It involved the very successful BROADWAY shows in Athens.
At his second album 'BAHAR' (LIBRA MUSIC / 2000), Ablianitis met the world famous Indian flute player, Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia, and one of the best Greek singers, Manolis Lidakis. Not only 'BAHAR' is a very interesting project, but also it was hit at once. Ablianitis formed his own group and toured Greece, FYROM and Turkey. He became famous, and many labels ask for license to include tracks of BAHAR in their collections. On January 2004 was released MOSAIC (LIBRA MUSIC), the album of the famous Greek singer Maria Farantouri (featuring: Glen Velez, Fuat Saka, Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia, Ross Daly). Ablianitis has given 3 songs to Farantouri and made all the arrangements of the album.
In the spring of 2004 he formed the group “HOT ORGANIC TRIO”. The trio plays original songs and jazz standards, with the distinctive sound, that only the trio: guitar- hammond organ- drums, can create.
On December 2004, released the album ‘BAHAR Live under the sky’, with songs from the ‘BAHAR’ cd, and new songs that recorded live.
Makis Ablianitis has numerous participations on festivals and concerts all over the world, while he is also involved with the tuition of jazz music by teaching guitar, modern harmony and orchestration at various Conservatories in Athens. At this period he has released his new cd ‘KISMET’.
• 1997 – ‘FLAME KEEPER’ - ΘCD 0010 – THESIS
• 2000 – ‘BAHAR’ – LM020-2 – LIBRA MUSIC
• 2004 - ‘BAHAR LIVE under the sky’ (Live recording)-LM035-2 LIBRA MUSIC
• 2008 - ‘KISMET’ – LM046-2- LIBRA MUSIC
• BUDDHA BAR presents: Amnesty international – 40th anniversary - 2CDs – Various Artists - George V records, FRANCE
• SLOW MO 3 – SD082 – Various Artists - STEREO DELUXE, GERMANY
• ELEMENTAL CHILL – VOL.3 – AIR – KRICD3003 – Various Artists – KRIZTAL ENTERTAINMENT, USA
• THEMA 1 / BLEND MEETS LIBRA - LM023-2 – Various Artists – LIBRA MUSIC, GREECE
• THE BEST OF BUDDHA – 4 FUN MUSIC- FRANFURT, GERMANY
• IN PARNAS’ COURTYARD – HELICON RECORDS- ISRAEL
• MARIA FARANTOURI ‘MOSAIC’.
• MANOLIS LIDAKIS ‘OSA SOU’HO PEI- TA ADESPOTA’
• MANOLIS LIDAKIS ‘APO TI SIOPI TOU HRONOU’