AFRO DIZZI ACT – Condensed bio
Anchored in a broad spectrum of roots music, Afro Dizzi Act have built a reputation as one of the most flexible bands in Australia. Their ability to craft a live performance for a particular audience and space is second to none and it’s for this reason amongst others the group has been able to attract such a wide ranging audience and an equally diverse array of gigs.
It hasn’t been easy to categorise a band that draws from such a plethora of musical reference points, but Afro Dizzi Act as a band have never looked for a comfortable box to reside in. Rather this adventurous five-piece want nothing more than to continue to seek out fresh musical compositions, freely combining whatever sonic elements they see fit to call upon. Like Robert Rauschenberg’s ‘combines’, Afro Dizzi Act’s sound collects together often unrelated musical styles and through a process of unspoken collaboration and improvisation creates something electric, energetic, utterly breath taking and unquestionably greater than the sum of its parts.
Afro Dizzi Act’s last E.P and 7” vinyl single release, ‘Welcome Speech’, received extensive JJJ airplay for an instrumental track and aroused a whole lot of interest from the 45’ vinyl collectors of the world. (www.dustygroove.com or www.butterbeatsrecordstore.com)
With the resent new addition to the band, Vocalist/Kora player Jali Buba Kuyateh from Senegal, West Africa, a new direction is starting to present itself for Afro Dizzi Act. Jali Buba Kuyateh’s first performance with Afro Dizzi Act was at the Woodford Folk Festival 04/05, meeting the band there and opening their NYE show. From that date the collaboration has been going from strength to strength giving birth to a style of music that has been embedded deep in the Afro Dizzi Act hearts & veins for some time. The combination has brought to the table a rich flow of African roots & melodies blended with the signature deep grooves & world influences of Afro Dizzi Act to produce a sound known to the crew as 'World Beat'.
This is not an entirely new concept for Afro as they have collaborated with the amazing musicians of WALA (Ghana, West Africa) in 2002 & 2003 performing many shows at the Woodford Folk Festival & in Southeast Queensland.
After recording vocals on there latest studio album Walkin’, Afro and Jail Buba decided to compose some tracks and perform them together for the Woodford Folk Festival in 06/07. This turned out to be a great success & have propelled Afro Dizzi Act into there new sound. Afro Dizzi Act & Jali Buba Kuyateh are now setting the sights on the European & Global World music festival circuit.
“ One of the best African/Australian fusion bands I have ever seen come out of Australia.” Ben Walsh (The Bird, Circle of Rhythm).
- WOODFORD FOLK FESTIVAL 1999 to 2007
(Big top Stage, The Grande stage Cap. 3000 & Amphitheatre shows)
- Toured NORTH EAST INDIA in August 2003 & Performed in the INDIA Independence Day Festival. (Afro were the first EVER Foreign band to tour North East India – August 2003)
- In March/April 2002 & 2003 Afro Dizzi Act toured NEPAL for 6 weeks performing to sellout audiences at the KATHMANDU Jazz Festival (Jazzmandu) leading to invitations to perform in Delhi & Dubai.
- Played @ the 2002 DUBAI Fusion festival
(other performers include - Trilok Gurtu)
- BLUES & ROOTS FESTIVAL 2003
(Jabalaya stage @ 7pm alongside Michael Franti & Ben Harper)
- BIG DAY OUT 2003 Green Stage
- Brisbane LIVID 2002 (the Zoo stage 8pm)
- Sold Out The Great Northern Hotel, Byron Bay – November 2003
- VALLEY FIESTA, Headlining Rocket 2003 (approx. 2000 people)
Sold Out THE ZOO (Brisbane) on the 14th of June 2003
(capacity 530 people)
- Sold out THE ZOO (Brisbane) in September 2002 for the launching of their debut album "Audio Cookie" (capacity 530 people)
- Played to a packed Valley Mall for the 2002 VALLY FIESTA
(approx. 1500 people)
- Performed to capacity crowds in Brisbane/ South East Qld venues such as The Zoo, Troccadero, The Arena, The Monastery, Family & Great Northern ( Byron Bay ) collaborating with bands such as the Resin Dogs, Good Buddha, Rhibosome, George, 2 Dogs, Soma Rasa, The Visitors & the Toothfaeries
- Headlined "Get the Funk" in King George Square for Brisbane City Council
- Performed @ Pinnacles Festival of Improvised music 1998 & 1999
- Supported Australian Jazz Legends such as Bernie McGann & Don Burrows
As well as completing the ‘Walkin’ album the Afro Dizzi Act clan has been working on several projects in the 18 months since the bands last release.
- OJ Newcomb & Sol Carroll performed & produced on the sound track to professional free surfer Dave Rastovich’s surf film www.lifelikeliquid.com, and toured the East Coast for it’s launch in November 2006. Life Like Liquid also has plans to tour Japan, America & Brazil in the coming year.
- OJ, Sol & Mark have also been busy with the another band called the ‘Band of Frequencies’. Releasing their debut album ‘Soltrain’ in March 2006 and touring California, USA in the same month. The Band of Frequencies has also just completed a second album from which the music has been chosen for a few classy local & international surf film due for release in 2007.
- Ziggzaggs & The Neighborhood Groove Collective (M8S R8S Records) have been continuing to put out the goodness. Collaborating on many projects and becoming the # 1 Party band of Brisbane. NGC have released two albums NGC Vol 1. & Vol 2. and have performed in support slots for great national & international bands like The Bamboo’s, Fat Freddy’s Drop (NZ) & Breakastra (US). www.m8sr8srecords.com
- Ant Aggs and Mark Henman have been very active in the doggies (RESIN DOGS) camp in the last few years, playing a big part in the compositions and arrangements of songs on their latest album, as well as touring nationally and internationally, performing at some major festivals & venues like; Colours of Ostrova festival (Czech republic) Zsiget Festival (Hungary) Womad (Redding UK) Kaikora Festival (NZ) Fabric Club (UK) Rocket festival (WA).
AFRO DIZZI ACT
Nick Aggs – 0422 741 064
Oj Newcomb – 0408 433 926 or 02 6680 2194
LOW PRESSURE PRODUCTIONS
Ac – 0438 737 955
Oj – 0408 433 926
Sol – 0407 694 972