Healey Willan: Epilogue
G. F. Handel: Organ Concerto in F major, Op. 4, No. 4 (arr. Andrew Henderson)
John Bull: Why Aske Yee
Herbert Howells: Master Tallis’s Testament
Samuel Barber: Wondrous Love: Variations on a Shape-Note Hymn, Op. 34
J. S. Bach: Christ, unser Herr zum Jordan kam (BWV 684); Wir gläuben all’ an einen Gott (BWV 680)
Barrie Cabena: Eine kleine Morgenmusik, Op. 631 (2010)
Just Before Dawn
The Morning Breaks
A Morning Stroll
A Mid-morning Nap
Celebrating the Morning
Ester Mägi: Dialog: Prelude with Chorale (1992)
Edward Elgar: Imperial March, Op. 32 (arr. George C. Martin)
About the Artist:
Andrew Elliot Henderson was appointed Director of Music & Organist at Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church, New York, NY, in 2005. At the church he directs an esteemed liturgical music program with a number of choirs including a 50-voice choral society, the Saint Andrew Chorale, and the extensive Music on Madison concert series. In addition, he regularly teaches graduate courses in organ literature at Westminster Choir College in Princeton, NJ, and is the organ instructor at Teacher’s College, Columbia University.
Dr. Henderson, a native of Thorold, Ontario, began studies in organ at the age of eleven. He completed his undergraduate degree in music at Cambridge University in England where he served as Organ Scholar at Clare College, Cambridge from 1996 to 1999. With Clare College Choir he was heard on numerous BBC broadcasts, recordings and tours throughout Europe and North America. He completed a master’s degree in organ performance at Yale University on a scholarship from the Yale Institute of Sacred Music, where he was Marquand Chapel Organist at the Yale Divinity School and was awarded prizes for excellence in organ performance and academic studies. The recipient of a C.V. Starr Foundation fellowship, he was awarded the Doctor of Musical Arts degree in organ performance from the Juilliard School in 2007, receiving the Richard F. French prize for the best doctoral document, “The Early Organ Works of Charles Tournemire.” From 2001 to 2005, he was Assistant Organist at the Church of St. Ignatius Loyola in New York.
He was a finalist in the 2002 Grand Prix de Chartres international organ competition in France, and in 2003 he won first prize in the Royal Canadian College of Organist’s National Organ Playing Competition. Andrew maintains an active schedule as an organ recitalist performing throughout the United States and Canada. Some notable venues have included St. Paul’s Cathedral and Westminster Abbey in London; St. Thomas Church Fifth Avenue, St. Bartholomew’s Church, St. Ignatius Loyola and the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York; the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C.; and at the 2004 National Convention of the Royal Canadian College of Organists in Winnipeg. As a performer he has been featured on NPR’s Pipedreams. In the New York City area he is in demand as a continuo organist and harpsichordist, including appearances with the New York Philharmonic, American Symphony Orchestra, Musica Sacra, and The Collegiate Chorale.
Dr. Henderson holds the Fellowship diploma of the Royal Canadian College of Organists and is an Associate of the Royal Conservatory, Toronto. His teachers have included John Tuttle, Barrie Cabena, David Sanger, Thomas Murray, and John Weaver. Prior to his studies in Cambridge, Andrew spent his “gap year” as Assistant Organist at St. John’s, Elora. Since 1996 Andrew has frequently appeared as a featured recitalist and accompanist at the annual four-week Elora Festival. This CD, featuring the splendid organ at St. John’s, is his first solo CD release. Find out more at: www.andrewhenderson.net!
About the Organ:
The organ at St. John’s, Elora, was originally built in 1899 by the Karn-Warren firm of Woodstock, Ontario, for St. Jude’s Anglican Church in Oakville. In 1937, the two-manual instrument was rebuilt by Casavant Frères of St-Hyacinthe, Quebec as their Opus 1546, providing entirely new action and a new console. When St. Jude’s Church decided to replace the instrument with an electronic substitute in 1968, the organ was sold to St. John’s. The organ “transplant” was undertaken by Ross Dodington, who later lived in Elora and established a pipe organ service firm, Dodington & Dodington, with his wife Linda in 1976. Since its installation the organ has been lovingly cared for and gradually expanded. The resulting instrument is a jewel of richness and color, aided by the church’s remarkable acoustics. Through the many internationally-released recordings of the Parish Choir and the Elora Festival Singers, countless CBC broadcasts, and prominent use during the annual four-week Elora Festival, this organ has probably been one of the most-heard in Canada. This CD represents the first solo recording of the instrument.