AOMUSIC is music for a new eon. Cinematic and intoxicatingly rhythmic, it has been described by critics as "astonishing" and “like nothing you’ve ever heard.” Their music is influenced by the works of Peter Gabriel, Afro Celt Sound System, Deep Forest, Adiemus, Varttina, and Karunesh. AOMUSIC was invited by the Beijing Olympic Committee to compose theme music for the 2008 Summer Games.
Read on to learn more about:
- THE HISTORY OF AOMUSIC
- WHO IS AOMUSIC
- WHAT IS AOMUSIC
THE HISTORY OF AOMUSIC
AOMUSIC is comprised of Richard Gannaway, Jay Oliver and Miriam Stockley. Key contributing artists include Sandeep Chowta, Andy
Georges, George Bernardo, Doug Lunn, and various children’s choirs throughout the world. In 2009, AOMUSIC releases TWIRL, an exhilarating new album featuring the signature vocal style of Miriam Stockley, heard on the acclaimed Adiemus project, produced by Karl Jenkins.
Gannaway & Oliver grew up in St. Louis, MO, where they were both involved in the regional music scene. Gannaway moved to Los Angeles in 1987 as a composer and convinced Oliver to move there in 1989, where they both expanded their musical careers.
In 1996, they began working on the AOMUSIC project, which resulted in the critically
acclaimed release of their GROW WILD album in 2000.
Gannaway and Oliver toured the world to refine the vision of AOMUSIC, expanding their musical recipe for a “universal” sound. The result, is the 2009 release of their new song collection, TWIRL. Their intriguing journeys continue and will be produced as
GROW WILD’s success in 2001 led to teaming up with Frank Mayor of Artists International Management, who introduced them to China Record Company (CRC). Over the next few years, Gannaway and Oliver spent increasing amounts of time in China, Indonesia and India, learning local musical traditions and recording Chinese and Indian children’s choirs for their new compositions.
In 2005, AOMUSIC was invited to Sandeep Chowta's studio in Mumbai where they rehearsed, then performed, the first ever AOMUSIC concert in Bangalore, India; a forthcoming concert is planned for the fall of 2009 in Tbilisi, Georgia. Chowta is a well-known film score producer and has become a recent member of the AOMUSIC production team.
AOMUSIC was invited to compose music for the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China. For that purpose, Gannaway and Oliver decided to incorporate, internationally acclaimed recording artist, Miriam Stockley. Gannaway shares, “We loved Miriam’s work on Adiemus, and used her sound as a benchmark when recording children’s ensembles for our song refrains.” Stockley lent her talents to the song, “On Jai Ya”, which was submitted to the Beijing Olympic committee. Eventually, “On Jai Ya” became the opening track for their second album, "TWIRL", a captivating introduction to this energetic album, accented by children’s vocal ensembles from Asia. The positive collaboration with Stockley blossomed into work on additional tracks, which resulted in AOMUSIC’s expansion to include Stockley and engineer Rod Houison as musical partners.
AOMUSIC’s highly anticipated third album, "...and Love Rages On", releases Internationally on February 15, 2011. It delivers the dynamic vibrancy of children’s choral refrains and creative phonetics that cross language barriers. Being at once, universal, indigenous and mystical, it defies definition and embodies AOMUSIC’s message of Spirit and Unity. It reaches beyond borders to present a rich, imaginative musical landscape that naturally brings
forth a sense of oneness and celebration within each of us.
When listening to the upcoming release, "...and Love Rages On", one realizes that AOMUSIC is more than a producer of a new world sound. Their music is a celebration of life and a guiding light toward oneness. Its message is simply "unity,” but its method is far from simple: it endeavors to present the four components of beauty -- music, color, form & movement -- in each song.
Upon finalizing their new album, AOMUSIC continues to scan the world for rich musical diversity, honing their ability to connect with our natural yearning for Spirit and Unity.
WHO IS AOMUSIC
• Richard Gannaway (stringed instruments, vocals) is a primary artist, producer and the founder of AOMUSIC. Gannaway toured Western Europe & Canada extensively as leader of the group, Tiger & the Helix before founding the AOMUSIC vision.
• Jay Oliver (keyboards, synth samples) is a primary artist, producer. Most of the recorded textures (winds, bowed instruments, drums, cymbals, shakers, sticks, bells, rattles, etc.) & layers of world indigeny that define AOMUSIC's extraordinary rhythmic feel are performed by Jay Oliver via synths, samples & keys. Oliver's former credits include: Sheryl Crow, The Eagles, Celine Dion, Jimmy Buffett, Bonnie Raitt, Wynona Judd, Glenn Fry, Joe Walsh, Chick Corea & Dave Weckl.
• Miriam Stockley of the U.K. has recently joined as a powerful vocal ensemble and also contributes as co-composer. Miriam's South African upbringing is what she attributes to the incredible youthful spirit of her tracks. Miriam grew up in South Africa before moving to the U.K. where she met husband/engineer, Rod Houison.
• Rod Houison (Miriam's husband & engineer) overdubs & co-produces all Miriam's vocal tracks. Miriam Stockley & Rod Houison officially joined the AO sound in 2006.
• Film score composer & producer, Sandeep Chowta of Mumbai, India is a supporting member of the AOMUSIC production team, and through his resources we have access to fantastic talent & musical traditions throughout that region.
• Andy Georges is a contributing artist (stringed instruments) & occasional co-composer.
• Other contributing artists are: George Bernardo (percussion), Doug Lunn (bass) & various children’s choral ensembles throughout the world, most notably the China Record Company Children’s Choir, and the William Joseph International Academy for Performing Arts Children’s Choir.
WHAT IS AOMUSIC
AOMUSIC is a pan-cultural acoustic fusion of musical texture from around the globe. It is a commonwealth of spirit and celebration.
A key ingredient in AOMUSIC's unique expression is powerful vocal ensembles, sung by children throughout the world... Refrain lyrics are often a variety of ancient languages or carefully crafted phonetics, chosen for their "shape."
The object is not to hold allegiance to any particular region, so the impression is fresh & exotic from any place on the earth.
AOMUSIC is the spirit, color and timbre of global oneness.
THE FOUR TENANTS OF AOMUSIC
• The singularity of Music, Color, Shape & Movement
• Youth, the vibrant, unguarded human presence & easiest example of beauty, hyper-intelligence & naturally occurring brotherhood
• The present cycle of change & its simple need for lightheartedness & tolerance
• The overwhelming evidence that any natural system, unobstructed, is UNITY...is MUSIC...is LOVE
LP "...and Love Rages On" tracks include:
Gaiya Lo Mane
Ena Na Lena
Tio Da Ye
LP "Twirl" tracks include:
On Jai Ya
Drops & Sparks
Na Ha Ye
LP "Grow Wild" tracks include:
Little Dove's Reel
Genre: World / New Age