About the artist:
Dr. Amrutur Venkatachar Srinivasan was born in India in the village of Amrutur, Kunigal Taluk, in the southern state of Karnataka. He had eight years of formal education in Sanskrit, the liturgical language of Hinduism, followed by many years in the U.S. performing a wide variety of Hindu religious ceremonies of worship, weddings, housewarmings, and bhajans or kirtans. His latest publication, The Vedic Wedding: Origins, Tradition and Practice, (Periplus Line LLC, 2006, www.periplusbooks.com) is widely acclaimed and won the USA Book News 2007 Best Book Award for Eastern Religions. He has developed a contemporary format for Vedic (Hindu) weddings which retains all essential Vedic rites within a one to two hour ceremony, and in practice has blended this approach with those of other creeds in many interfaith weddings. In 1984 and 1985 he choreographed and directed a multi-media drama, "The Coronation of Ramachandra," performed by children. He is a popular writer and speaker, and has published/presented over 80 papers on a variety of cultural, social and religious issues in the U.S. and India. He has given courses on the classical literature of India at the University of Connecticut and taught Sanskrit to Wesleyan University graduate students. In 2007 his four decades of support for Indian classical music in the U.S. earned him the Kala Seva Mani award given by the famous Cleveland Thyagaraja Festival, a premier annual South Indian classical music event.
• Hindu Wedding: A Workbook; An ebook, Periplus Line, LLC, 2013
• Dharma: Hindu Strategy for a Purposeful Life; An ebook, Periplus Line, LLC, 2013
• How to Conduct Seemantam: Hindu Rites for the Wellbeing of the Mother-To-Be; Periplus Line, LLC, 2009
• Hinduism for Dummies; Wiley Publications 2011
• Hindu Wedding: The Guide ; White River Press, 2010
• A Series of nine individual booklets on HOW TO CONDUCT PUJA to the following gods and goddesses: Soorya, Shiva, SriRamachandra, SriKrishna, MahaaGanapati, Durgadevi, Saraswathi, Lakshmi and Navagrahas (Periplus Line LLC, 1999 – 2009)
• VEDIC WEDDING: Origins, Tradition & Practice; Periplus Line, LLC, 2006. Received the USA BOOK NEWS 2007 Best Books AWARD WINNER in the category
of Eastern Religions.
• Padayatra; published for and in behalf of Connecticut Valley Hindu Temple Society, Periplus Line, LLC, 2005
• Yaksha Prashna: A Hindu Primer based on Mahabharata lectures (1984); second edition released at the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan, Bangalore, April 2002
• "Hindu Weddings" in Buddhists, Hindus, Sikhs in America, Oxford University Press, 2001
About the CD:
This CD contains the chants/mantras for a complete Hindu wedding ceremony, as contained in Chapter V: The Wedding Ceremony in the book, The Vedic Wedding: Origins, Tradition and Practice, pages 90 through 144. Mantras for additional ceremonies as listed in Appendix VI and VI are included. The sound tracks are numbered according to the appropriate pages in the book. The mantras and music may also be enjoyed and appreciated as such apart from the book.
Dr. Srinivasan's years as an educator and facilitator, as well as his love of the language are evident in his advice:
"These mantras are intended to assist couples and/or an officiant in organizing, planning, and chanting a pre-planned sequence of events in a Hindu wedding ceremony and associated rituals. Most of the chants are enunciated at a slower pace than is normal in order to facilitate usage and adaptation."
USA Book News review: Easy-to-read yet comprehensive... This unusual text includes the Sanskrit verses used in the wedding ceremony as well as transliteration and translation by the author himself... Containing color photographs and specially commissioned drawings by the famous Andhra artist Bapu, The Vedic Wedding is a feast for the eyes.