Every south Louisiana native has a recipe for gumbo, the state’s signature hearty stew. All cooks share the dish’s basic ingredients, but each cook throws a little dash of this and a little dash of that from their personal stash of seasonings and spice, to make it “their” gumbo.
Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band serve up the zydeco gumbo. Mixing the traditional accordion and washboard farmhouse porch boogie of the Cajun prairie with dashes of 70s funk, the spices of classic R&B, and refreshing, swampy twists on classic songs as only authentic Louisiana ambassadors can do.
The master zydeco chef and Louisiana’s favorite emcee, Chubby, will say “there ain’t no party like a Chubby party” several times on your stage.
That’s Grammy award-winning zydeco speak for “y’all better hope you wore your dancing shoes.”
In addition to earning the Grammy for “Best Cajun or Zydeco Album” in 2011, Chubby and the band have recorded 10 albums; played prestigious music festivals across North America and Europe; and shared the stage with musicians ranging in diversity from Carlos Santana and Travis Tritt to “Weird” Al Yankovic.
A third-generation zydeco performer, Chubby remains true to his roots. A native of Church Point, Louisiana, Chubby still resides in the heart of Cajun country and mixes international touring with local concert and festival appearances, corporate and private engagements and youth outreach activities that share the history, evolution and significance of zydeco and Louisiana culture.
-Living Blues Magazine "This is zydeco for the 21st century musical palette."
- Living Blues Magazine "blazingly refreshing and expertly played"
- Offbeat Magazine "zydeco's consummate party host"
- San Antonio Current "Carrier is one of (zydeco's) more irrepressible ambassadors."
- St. Louis Post Dispatch "Irresistible"
- The Post and Courier "zydeco that grabs people"
- The Advertiser "Legendary"
- Kingsport Times-News "explosive funky brand of zydeco"
- STLBlues "contageous party sound" - Music Mag "one of zydeco's most invigorating original performers."
- Bucks County Courier Times "passionate, relentlessly upbeat, infectious brand of zydeco"
- Springfield Newsleader "Chubby Carrier's brand of stew is designed to tickle the eardrums and kick up the feet"
- North Liberty Ragbai "He (Carrier) brings a party, he invites you into it and he hopes you have a good time"
- Lake Sun "charisma and energy"
- Sentinel Tribune "Musical Exuberance"
- The Capital Journal "unbridled enthusiasm"
- The Morning News "high energy dance party"
- News-Sun "Cut Chubby Carrier and he bleeds glossy metallic shades of purple, green and gold."
- Toledo Free Press "upbeat and fun"
- St. Louis Best Bets "When it comes to the Louisiana music called Zydeco, there is no musician with a better pedigre than Chubby Carrier."
- LJ World "sound as spicy as a pot of jambalaya and as sweet as a strawberry beignet"
- Northwest Arkansas Times "zesty Creole concoction of rock, soul, gospel and R&B"
- http://www.ehtiozydeco.com "Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band truly orchestrate the best stage show of any zydeco band in the land"
- Kansas City Blues News "Wow, what a party!"
- The Current "If you have the slightest amount or warm blood running through your veins then your heart has gotta start thumping a little harder and your feet has gotta start moving a bit faster when you hear those crazy rhythms"
- The Gleaner "a festival favorite"
- Virgin Islands Daily News "concert goer kick up a storm dancing"
- Free Weekly "no one is left sitting in their chairs"