1. The fountain at Valle Giulia, at dawn. A pastoral landscape, droves of cattle pass and disappear in the mists of dawn.
2. The Triton fountain in the morning. A joyous call summoning troops of naiads and tritons, who come running up, pursuing each other and mingling in a frenzied dance between the jets of water.
3. The fountain of Trevi at mid-day. Across the radiant surface of the water there passes Neptune´s chariot drawn by seahorses, and followed by a train of sirens and tritons. The procession then vanishes while faint trumpet blasts resound in the distance.
4. The fountain at Villa Medici at sunset. The nostalgic hour of sunset, the air is full of the sound of tolling bells, birds twittering, leaves rustling. Then all dies peacefully into the silence of the night.
5. Pines at the Villa Borghese. Children are at play in the pine groves of Villa Borghese; they dance around in circles, they play soldiers, marching and fighting, they are wrought up by their own cries like swallows in the evening, they come and go in swarms. School calls everyone inside again.
6. Pines near a catacomb. We see the shades of the pines fringing the entrance to a catacomb. From the depth rises the sound of mournful psalm singing, floating through the air like a solemn hymn, praying to God for salvation, and gradually and mysteriously dispersing as the Roman soldiers chase the Christians further into the darkness of the catacomb.
7. Pines of Janiculum. A quiver runs through the air: the pine trees of the Janiculum stand distinctly outlined in the clear light of a full moon. A nightingale is singing.
8. The pines of Via Appia. Misty dawn on the Appian Way; solitary pine trees guarding the magic landscape; the muffled ceaseless rhythm of unending footsteps. The tired and weary army is returning home from yet another war, shuffling under the hot sun. Trailed by women slaves captured at war, crying and yammering, as the soldiers behind them whip them. The pace picks up as they near the gates of Rome, and the soldiers long to see their family and friends again. Going through the gates, the family and friends are there, cheering for their safe return.