Do-it-yourself post-punk band the Deep Freeze Mice released ten records in their decade-long existence, beginning as amateurs with no formal knowledge of what they were embarking on. The original lineup -- guitarist/vocalist Alan Jenkins, bassist Mick Bunnage (of the Statics), keyboardist Sherree Lawrence, and drummer Graham Summers (also of the Statics) -- stayed intact until the release of the band's third record, The Gates of Lunch. After the departure of Summers and the acquisition of replacement Pete Gregory, the lineup remained until their breakup in 1989. Leader Jenkins (who was also involved with the Chrysanthemums and Ruth's Refrigerator during the existence of his primary band) continued afterwards in the Creams and the Thurston Lava Tube. All of Deep Freeze Mice's records were released in small quantities through the band's labels, Mole Embalming and Cordelia. (Andy Kellman, All Music Guide.)
The Deep Freeze Mice were an English New Wave band that were active between 1979 and 1989. They were based in Leicester, and consisted of the core members Alan Jenkins (guitars and singing), Sherree Lawrence (organ and other keyboards), and Mick Bunnage (bass guitar). The band had two different drummers over the years: Graham Summers and Pete Gregory.
The band released 10 albums during their existence on their own labels: from 1979 to 1983 on Mole Embalming Records, from 1983 to 1989 on Cordelia Records. Their music was odd, often consisting of absurd and surreal lyrics delivered in Alan's deadpan voice accompanied by bouncy pop/progressive rock music. Favoured lyrical concerns included animal rights, conformity, and science fiction.
Alan Jenkins was also a member of The Chrysanthemums in the late 1980s, and joined up with members of Po! and The Ammonites in Jody & The Creams (later as "Alan Jenkins & The Creams") and Ruth's Refrigerator. He has played guitar with The Thurston Lava Tube since 2001.
* My Geraniums are Bulletproof (1979)
* Teenage Head in My Refrigerator (1981)
* The Gates of Lunch (1982)
* Saw a Ranch House Burning Last Night (1983)
* I Love You Little Bo Bo with Your Delicate Golden Lions (double L.P.) (1984)
* These Floors Are Smooth (7" single) (1985)
* Hang on Constance, Let Me Hear the News (EP) (1985)
* Neuron Music (12" EP) (1986)
* Live in Switzerland (1986)
* War, Famine, Death, Pestilence and Miss Timberlake (1987)
* Rain Is When the Earth is Television (1987)
* The Tender Yellow Ponies of Insomnia (1988)