Dot Dash -- Winter Garden Light (beauty 22)
Second Album in a Year by Washington D.C.-based Post Punk Pop Band...
Winter Garden Light is Dot Dash’s second album. Recorded over a few days in Summer 2012 at Lord Baltimore Studios, a hub of that city’s art, punk and indierock scenes, it follows the band’s debut long player (spark>flame>amber>ash, issued by The Beautiful Music in Sept. 2011) by less than a year.
Reviews for Dot Dash’s first album included comparisons to The Jam, The dB’s, Wire, The Byrds, and Joy Division, among others. While retaining elements of the debut, the 10-track Winter Garden Light also covers new ground. As before, Dot Dash’s intense, melodic, energetic songs are shrouded in a prevailing melancholy but they’re now underpinned by a new dynamism — the poppy ones are poppier, the dark ones are darker, the loud ones louder.
Moving forward, Dot Dash hopes to keep making records (they’re already performing new songs live, written after Winter Garden Light was recorded) and playing shows. Over the last year or so they’ve played with The Drums, Urge Overkill, The Chameleons, Frankie Rose, Allo Darlin’, Hugh Cornwell, The Trash Can Sinatras, The Godfathers, Jack Grisham, and From The Jam, among many others — including appearances at the NYC Popfest and Chickfactor anniversary shows.
Based in Ottawa, The Beautiful Music has been releasing records for a little over 10 years. Winter Garden Light by Dot Dash is the label’s 22nd release.
Label info at: www.thebeautifulmusic.com
Dot Dash bio:
• Dot Dash is a four-piece band (two guitars, bass and drums) from Washington D.C.
o Band info at www.facebook.com/dotdashdc
• Guitarist/singer Terry Banks and bassist Hunter Bennett were in punky power poppers Julie Ocean.
o Before that, Terry was in The Saturday People (Slumberland label), Tree Fort Angst (Bus Stop label), Glo-Worm (K Records), and St. Christopher.
• Guitarist Bill Crandall was in the mod/pop band Modest Proposal.
• Drummer Danny Ingram began musical life in early Dischord-label punks Youth Brigade before moving on to Strange Boutique and, later, U.K. guitar-wranglers Swervedriver.
• Winter Garden Light is Dot Dash’s second album. It is preceded by 2011’s spark>flame>ember>ash. Both were released by Canadian indie The Beautiful Music.