Are you as ‘together’ as you thought you’d be at your age? I’m still not! These songs float to the surface of my daily life, which is often as storm-tossed as Peter’s Sea of Galilee. But at the Master’s call, each day anew,
“Just as I am...
I come, I come!”
May God meet you in all your broken places and turn your heart into a Harbor of Grace!
January 1st, 2014 UPDATE:
Yes, it's time for another album! Will this be the year? We'll see! In the meantime, "HARBOR OF GRACE" keeps touching lives and hearts, including mine.
WHAT THE MUSIC’S ABOUT?
1.”FAITHFUL”—God’s working on us, refining us for His purposes. Painful, but necessary! Worth it, even when it doesn’t seem so right now.
2. “BEATING OF MY HEART” --- Fear has us by the throat. “Scared of dying, scared of change, scared tomorrow will bring more grief and pain….but I got Jesus beating in my heart.”
3. “HARBOR OF GRACE” –“My life’s a hurricane, it’s always blowing me away. But as long as You are in this boat with me, there’s no safer place that I could be. You turn my heart into that peaceful place. A safe haven, a Harbor of Grace.”
4. “LOVE NEVER FAILS” ---After verse 1, it’s 1 Corinthians 13 word for word! And a beautiful wedding song, too.
5. “CREATED TO ADORE YOU”….”Because I love You”—a revelation to me, having grown up in church with tons of ‘should’ and ‘ought.’
6. “YOU ARE GOD”— Rocks! “In each crack and crevice of my unrepentant heart, in the high and mighty, in the blind and in the lame, in the backslid sinner who’s afraid he’ll never change, You are God, You alone!”
7. “QUIET NOW” –a moonlit Texas love song to a suffering wife. “Lay your head on my shoulder. Come, let me hold you close, and just be quiet now.”
8. “FATHER, FATHER,” …”for these times I don’t have the strength. How these days have stripped me to the core. Oh, Lord, whom have I in Heaven but Thee?” My 9-11 song.
9. “MAMA” –laundry snapping in the breeze on a crisp March morning, dandelions dancing underfoot in the brilliant green grass. ..."and how short was the path to the safety of your love and your welcoming arms, Mama!”
10. “HOLE IN THE WALL” –“the” definitive song about sexual abuse. “You stick a nail in the wall, you pull it out, the hole’s still there. Cover it up, fill it in, but it’s still there.”
(I was invited to sing this at the dedication of the only known monument to victims of sexual abuse on church property--that being St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church in Mendham NJ.)
11. “KEEP ME” –“So easily I stray; Keep me. My heart can turn away so quickly. Lord, I’m Yours, keep me true.” 12. “BACK HOME” –for me was Central Java, Indonesia. The music is country, but the details are tropical. Written months before the tsunami. “Where do you go when you can’t go back home?” As my drummer Mike says, “It’s a train song.”
Original CDBaby Release notes:
I'm so excited about my 2nd CD, "Harbor of Grace." It's a cut above my first, which was well received, and got me 3 cuts by Debbie Sewell (www.thespiritwhispering.com) With multi gold-album-producer Steve Pinkston, we recorded album tracks in Nashville, TN with Tim Lauer, Dennis Dearing, Garth Justice, Wanda Vick, and Mark Burchfield. Then we finished off things in Atlanta with Josh Davis and friends, and at Glenn Barratt's Morningstar Studios in Pennsylvania with Ruth Naomi Floyd.