Singer/songwriter Joel Gelpe bursts onto the musical/political scene with this collection of edgy, funny, "brutally honest" tunes.
In the past, Gelpe has written music and lyrics for gentle, uplifting children's musicals. But the time for niceties has passed, and Gelpe takes off the gloves in this, his debut solo album.
Backed up by first-class Broadway rock musicians ---The Nine-One-Four Groove--- and supported by guest stars, The Conservative Chorale and Marina Garcia, Gelpe takes us on a bizarre journey of the political, the cultural and the just plain unusual.
The CD comes with an eight-page booklet which includes the lyrics for all the songs.
CIVILITY IN AMERICA
1. "Civility in America" - patriotic march satirizing Dick Cheney's "go fuck yourself" remark on the Senate floor, complete with the F-word intact (numerous times, by the way). By the end, Dick has the entire Senate saying it!
2. "Lookin' Up the Mouth" - Arabic-flavored rock tune about the incessant TV coverage of Saddam's oral examination.
3. "Today My Faith was Shaken" - a pop ballad about faith in God, J.Lo's mom, and the Atlantic City slots.
4. "Mister" - punk rock tune about Armin Meiwes, the German cannibal who advertised online for a victim. Sung by the cannibal to his victim, it ends in a sick, glorious vocal climax.
5. "Biological Woman" - a woman's biological clock is running out, and she is pissed! Lead vocal by Marina Garcia.
6. "Shut Up!" - a mini-rock opera that slams Fox News, Bill O'Reilly, Hannity & Colmes, Rush Limbaugh, and more. With special guest stars, The Conservative Chorale.
7. "The Japanese Way" - an Asian-rock ballad about The Zenra Orchestra, a.k.a. The Stark Naked Orchestra, an actual orchestra of young, Japanese women who perform in the nude; inspired by their online photos.
8. "Redneck with a Goiter" - a silly country song written after a drunken game of charades.
Coming of Age
9. "Too Young to Rock 'n' Roll" - a solid rock tune about life experience and the creation of art.
10. "Civility in America - censored version" - the title song, with all the naughty words bleeped out.