HUDAKI VILLAGE BAND from Nyzhnye Selyshche, in Ukrainian Carpathians, was founded in 2001. The band concerted in more than dozen European countries. In 2010 the Hudaki played at Sziget Festival (Budapest) and won the European Folk Price at Plauen (Germany).
Band is composed of:
- Kateryna Shpenovych-Yarynych-Shkrobynets, vocals
- Olga Senynets, vocals
- Vasyl Rushchak, baraban (percussion), sopilka
- Misha Shutko, violin, vocals
- Yura Bukovynets, clarinet, taragot, sopilka (shepherds flute)
- Volodymyr Korolenko, dulcimers
- Vitaliy Kovach, guitar, vocals
- Serhiy Kovach, bayan, plonka
- Volodya Tishler, double bass
The band comes from Nyzhne Selyshche, Ukraine
Music that just quietly and unnoticed winded around a stage, instantly broke into the hall with reckless. Submerged in warm light, dissolving fully in the music, musicians played popooree that contained chardash, polka, ballads, and perceptible a-capella songs. All of it brightly contrasted with the tender singing of shepherd’s flute and incomprehensible moan of violin, thin voice of guitar and pulsating rhythm of traditional tambourine.
Concert of Hudaki is more than just music. It is the real, not far-fetched, living and spontaneous presentation.
(„Badische Zeitung”, March 15, 2007, "Music that rushes from a soul", Festival „Weiler String Time” presented first the Ukrainian folk band „Hudaki” for German public.)