This cd is a culmination of a lifetime of living and making music. It's a celebration of the possibliies that arise out of the unexpected turns life can take and the gratitude that i have for the support of loved ones, friends and music to assist me through the difficult times. My Best Days Are Ahead Of Me became my mantra, and this group of songs became my friends to help me express that feeling. Some of my favorite musicians are playing on this album. They helped paint the pictures to the words and music by adding their amazing guitar parts and keeping that bass line pumping the heartbeat of the songs.
1. MY BEST DAYS was written in response to the loss of a loved one and life as i knew it. It was wriiten to celebrate what was and what can be. Danny Gokey from American Idol recorded the song for his first album almost immediately after we wrote it. Neither Danny nor I had any inkling of our mirrored experience of losing a spouse in the same year until after he had chosen the song as his title cut.
2. GREW UP IN AMERICA, was written with the talented Cory Batten and celebrates the gift we were given to grow up in the USA.
3. GETTING YOU HOME, also written with Cory Batten along with Chris Young. It became Chris's first NO.1 hit. This track is the original demo that we did to pitch to Chris's record label.
4. MAN I LOVE THAT WOMAN, a song born at the beach in Destin Fl. It started working its way into my mind & fingers in little bits and pieces as i watched my new bride move through the days of fun and sun.
5. AIN'T GOIN' DOWN, a NO.1 song by Garth Brooks. I brought in members of my 4 Peace Band to play on this. We cut it live,vocals and all. No overdubs. Scott Van Zen and Nate Barrett are both amazing left-handed guitar players and their guitar solos are inspiring. Steve Bryant is a world-renowned bass player and longtime friend so we had to give him equal solo time. He burns up those 4 strings.
6. EARTHBOUND ANGEL, written for the new love in my life. She's an inspiration,always. Marv Green is the co-writer. He is one of most consistant hit songwriters in Nashville---a great guy and a joy to write with.
7. SHE'S GONNA MAKE IT, another NO.1 song for Garth Brooks, co-written with Garth & the great Kim Williams. I recorded this live at home on a dat machine to get an intimate feel to the song, which is the same way we recorded Garth's work tape of the song.
8. STONE FROM A RIVERBED. I wrote this with Josh Thompson, a wonderful singer-songwrter artist. It was the first song we wrote and i look forward to what else we can create.
9. I KNOW I LOVE YOU, written with Cory Batten. Cory sang this at my wedding, so the song has special meaning to Cindy and me.
10. THESE WERE THE DAYS, also written with Cory. This song is about being grateful for the day we have right in front of us; about not dwelling on the past or the future so much that we miss the beauty of the moment we are living.
11. WASN'T BORN YESTERDAY. Written with guitar wizard Scott Van Zen, this features Scott, Nate and Steve playing some great blues.
12. SHADOW OF A SHADE TREE Is a song about the life of a traveling artist-musician and the dream of what life can be after chasing the dream of stardom.
13. IN MY LIFE. Naturally, the one cover on the album is a Beatles song, maybe my favorite Beatles song. Such a phenomenal use of words to convey life, living, loss and love in 2:44. True genius. This was also recorded live at the house because i didn't think i could sing it in front of anyone without crying.
I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS ALBUM AS MUCH AS I ENJOYED MAKING IT