TRANSFORMATIONS AND MANIPULATIONS (released July, 2007)
Total Time = 77 minutes, 36 seconds
The six pieces in this collection are audio explorations assembled from samples of various instruments. The samples were digitally transformed, manipulated and layered to produce dense sonic textures. These compositions draw their influences from the process-oriented music of Brian Eno, William Basinski, Terry Riley, Steve Reich, Tod Dockstader, Phill Niblock and David Behrman.
Altered Orchestra #1, #3 and #4 are structurally set compositions and were each built from fragments of Steve’s orchestral piece, Morning Star Rising, originally recorded by the Kiev Philharmonic. These works explore the deconstruction of familiar orchestral sounds through various digital audio editing techniques and also exist as the soundtracks to three video art pieces by Steve and Melissa Kornicki. Music for Altered Instruments #1 and #2 are in the same vein as the Altered Orchestra series except the manipulations focus on single instruments.
23 X 6 is assembled from the random layering of a fixed number of individual, classical guitar samples. A single compact disc with 23 individual samples was set on random shuffle mode and then recorded into a digital mixer 6 consecutive times on separate tracks. Thus, the 23 samples are each heard 6 times throughout the piece, in random order, producing various textures and combinations. This piece could also be created in a digital mixer by selecting each of the samples through some other random means such as the rolling of dice.
For more information about Steve Kornicki visit:
To learn more about Steve's video art that utilizes music from this CD and to see video previews visit:
Music from this CD has been heard on various programming on VH1.
RADIO PLAY - 2007-2008
- Ferngerms Sleeps - Live 365 Internet Radio
- WXPN's "Star's End" (Philadelphia)
- WORT-FM's "RTQE" (Madison, WI)
- WXPH (Harrisburg, PA)
- WKHS (Baltimore, MD)
- KLCC's "New Dreamers" (Eugene, OR)
- WHUS-FM's "Pushing the Envelope" (Storrs, CT)
- WDIY FM "Galactic Travels" (Allentown/Bethlehem, PA, 93.9 FM in Easton, PA & Phillipsburg, NJ)
- CD featured in "July 2007, August 2007 & September 2007 significant releases/top 20" on Star's End Ambient Radio (WXPN-FM, Philadelphia, PA)
- CD included in "2007 significant releases" on Star's End Ambient Radio (WXPN-FM, Philadelphia, PA)
VIDEO INSTALLATIONS/PRESENTATIONS (with tracks from this CD):
- New American Art Union, BYOTV exhibition (presented by the Video Gentlemen) Portland, OR, April 2008
- Life in Balance concert, Kelly Strayhorn Theater,
Pittsburgh, PA, August 2007
- Flash Flood International Video Art Festival, Museum
for Polydimensional Research, Tucson, AZ, August 4, 2007
- TRANSreveLATION, an audiovisual concert that explored
form and structure in April 2007 at the Unitarian
Universalist Community Church of New York in mid-town
Composer Steve Kornicki’s ability to integrate diverse musical elements into his own unique and personal vision has led him to his current practice of composing accessible music based on numerical processes and advanced musical theories. He draws his inspiration from conceptual music theory and the natural sciences while preserving an intellectual, compelling and simultaneously evocative and emotional impact with his music. Steve Kornicki has been working for twenty years as a composer and sound artist.