Karen Sokolof Javitch: Bio
A former teacher of the visually impaired, Karen stayed at home with her children until they started school. At that point, her background in piano, singing, and dancing led her to an exciting new career in song writing. In her first effort, she penned the lyrics and composed the music for Jim Conant’s Love! At the Café!
Next, she co-wrote the musical From Generation to Generation with author Elaine Jabenis. Karen also composed Generation’s music and lyrics. Both works earned Theater Arts Guild writing awards. Generation has been produced in Omaha, St. Louis, and Beverly Hills, California. She also wrote SURPRISE! the Musical.
Karen was an ardent admirer of Princess Diana, and after her death, she expressed her grief by writing songs about the princess. Three months later, Karen decided to create a musical about Diana’s life, beginning with Prince Charles’ courtship. “I am so saddened by the death of this wonderful woman who gave so much to the world,” Karen laments. “ Writing Princess Diana, the Musical is my way of trying to keep her memory alive.” Produced twice in Omaha NE, this musical will open its European tour in Germany and Austrai in December 2007.
Besides her theater work, Karen composed the theme song for the international Odyssey of the Mind scholastic competition. The song, O.M.--It’s Creativity!, is performed annually at the O.M. World Finals. In addition, her compelling One People, One Destiny, written with Joanie Jacobson, was sung at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles to celebrate Israel’s 50th anniversary.
A prolific composer, Karen’s other works include a song written and performed for Nobel Peace Prizewinner Elie Wiesel, and an upbeat tune for “omaha, the movie.” In June of 2000, the Donna Reed Performing Arts Festival will use a theme song she wrote for them. She enjoys collaborating with Chuck Penington, who orchestrates her music. Karen and Chuck, the musical conductor for the Grammy-award winning group, Mannheim Steamroller, are combed their talents again on a high school CD, entitled Everything Happens at Westside High School.
Karen sings in a group called Three Women and a Guy, and their new CD composed of all original songs should be released at the end of 2000!
Most recently, Karen wrote a campaign song for Hillary Clinton and presented it to her at a recent fundraising event. She is also working on a Nebraska Celebrity CD – to be a fundraiser for Nebraska Juvenile Diabetes.
Karen has three wonderful children, Jenny, Mark, and Rachel. Her JMR Productions company is named for them.
KAREN SOKOLOF JAVITCH CD’S
1) LOVE! AT THE CAFE! 19 songs
2) FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION – Musical – 16 songs
3) PRINCESS DIANA, THE MUSICAL – Musical – 33 songs
4) SURPRISE! THE MUSICAL - Musical - 22 songs
5) EVERYTHING HAPPENS AT WESTSIDE HIGH SCHOOL
6) HIS NAME WAS FREEDOM! -13 songs produced after 9-11
All songs composed by Karen, it is a fundraiser for the school.
7) NEBRASKA CELEBRITIES SING FOR SIGHT - 16 Songs sung by well known people from NE. John Beasley, Cory Sanchez, Senator Ben Nelson, Earl Bates, Erick Crouch, Conor Oberst (Bright Eyes), Mike Kelly, The Maynard Triplests, Gordon Macrae, Elaine Jabenis. Funds go to Nebraska Foundation for Visually Impaired Children.
1) ODYSSEY OF THE MIND theme song
2) THE DONNA REED FILM FESTIVAL theme song
3) ONE PEOPLE, ONE DESTINY
4) 2000’S GONNA BE – For the Hillary Clinton campaign.