The LUNAMOON ballroom series is a collection of music recorded specifically for ballroom dancers: professionals, students and those just having fun. This collection was done in cooperation with ballroom dancers using authentic rhythms and optimum tempos for all the competition dance forms as well as some social dance forms.
Many of these songs offer fun and interesting opportunities for character development in dance choreography since they, for example, may completely change the original feel of the song to the point that it is only recognizable when you hear the chorus or a particular lyric (see It's the Same Old Song) or they may change the gender perspective of the vocals so that an entirely different effect is achieved from the lyrics (see I Heard it through the Grapevine sung by a female vocalist).
In every case, however, we feel that we have shown respect to the original versions. The lyrics can be clearly heard and we have attempted to match the various ballroom musical styles with song lyrics that match that style. While the changes made to these popular songs may be surprising and bring a smile to many that remember the originals, this is not "elevator" music. We love these songs, as we're sure you do, and have reinterpreted them in the spirit of the great jazz and Big Band legends that inspired us. Just as Frank, Ella, Sarah and so many of our idols took the popular songs of their era or the era just prior to their own, and made them Jazz Standards, we have done the same with the songs on The Ballroom Series collection because we consider them to be new contributions to the American Standards Songbook.
This album features ballroom dance versions of the following Motown classics:
1) Just My Imagination (The Temptations 1971) Bolero tempo - 96
2) You’ve Made Me So Very Happy (Brenda Holloway 1967) Samba tempo - 100
3) You’ve Really Got A Hold On Me (The Miracles 1962) International Cha-Cha tempo - 128
4) I Heard It Through the Grapevine (Marvin Gaye 1968) American or International Tango tempo - 128
5) Never Can Say Goodbye (The Jackson Five 1971) American Rumba
tempo - 135
6) Superstition (Stevie Wonder 1972) Mambo tempo - 188
7) My Guy (Mary Wells 1964) Foxtrot tempo - 120
8) Dancing In The Street (Martha & the Vandellas 1964) East Coast Swing tempo - 140
9) Until You Come Back To Me (Aretha Franklin 1973) Jive tempo - 176
10) It’s the Same Old Song (The Four Tops 1965) Quickstep tempo - 208
11) Hello (Lionel Richie 1984) American or International Slow Waltz tempo - 88
12) Ooo, Baby, Baby (Smokey Robinson 1965) American Fast Waltz tempo – 162
Debra Mann sings lead vocals on:
You’ve Made Me So Very Happy, You’ve Really Got a Hold On Me, I Heard It Through the Grapevine, Never Can Say Goodbye, Superstition, Dancin’ in the Street, Until You Come Back To Me, Hello and Ooo, Baby, Baby
Debra Meunier sings lead vocals on:
Just My Imagination, My Guy and It’s the Same Old Song
Ron Schmitt plays all other instruments and arranged the songs for ballroom dance
This album was recorded at Ron Schmitt's LunaTunes Production Studio and was mastered by Joe Moody at Danger Multitrack Studio
LUNAMOON is a studio project with more original and ballroom projects in the works.