Lydia Adams Davis
Professional Entertainer/Recording Artist
American Sign Language Mentor/Puppeteer
With a lifetime commitment spanning more than thirty five years, Lydia Adams Davis’ extensive experience reflects her standout talent, passion for the arts, and passion to make a difference in the lives of students and audiences of all ages across nationality, race and creed.
• Professional Performing Artist - throughout North America and Europe for audiences of all ages from large festivals to intimate school and library settings.
• Singer-Songwriter - writes, produces and records high quality CD’s/mp3s in the acoustic, country-folk, contemporary genre. Presents unique, educational, enlightening programs rich in history, environmental lessons and pure musical entertainment with live improvisation.
• Music Educator - extensive employment as a teaching artist in New York State schools, private instruction, music workshops, songwriting and performance.
• American Sign Language - proficient in storytelling and songwriting to totally engage both one-on-one and large audiences.
• Puppeteer Performer - presents skits and songs promoting self-esteem, problem solving, life skills and caring for our world.
• Independent Singer-Songwriter/Performer - more than thirty-five years.(see above)
• Young Audiences - New York City, NY - twenty years.
• Music for Many - Westchester, New York - twenty years.
• Arts Horizons - New York and New Jersey - twenty years.
• Three Feathers Music - Independent Recording Artist Label established in 1983.
• Private Instructor - throughout career.
Gift of Story
Take Me Back
Live at the Speak Easy
One Land One Heart
Broad Old River: Pete Seeger and the Hudson River Sloop Singers
Time's Running Out for Garbage
• Hunter College New York - Master of Science, Special Education. Summa cum Laude
• Elmira College New York - Bachelor of Arts, English Education, minor in Drama
• New York State Public Schools - Permanent State Certification in Deaf and the Hearing Impaired
• Gauludet University - American Sign Language, Cued Speech and Audiology
• Bloomingdale House of Music, New York City - Orff Schulwerk Teaching Certificate
• Bank Street College of Education/Berkeley Carroll Street School - Artist Residency, Music Teacher
• Oberlin University - Life-long study in voice, piano and guitar with Professor Mary Sherman Caskey
• Storytelling with my father - Harrison Merrill Davis, Jr., direct descendant of President John Adams.
• Northfield Mount Hermon School - Northfield, Massachusetts, private instruction and full performance.
Nancy Wallach - New York City Board of Education, New York, NY
Pete Seeger - Legendary Singer-Songwriter, Beacon, New York, NY
Donald Gordon – Environmental Scientist, Ph.D., Halifax, Canada
Lydia Adams Davis
PO Box 162 Cornwall, NY 12518
Singer-Songwriter, Recording Artist Lydia Adams Davis has vivid memories of family time around the piano in Maine, when she struck a major chord with her sister in song and in vocal harmony that set her music aspirations on a lifelong journey.
Lydia's proven destiny somehow showed that the year 2008 would provide and promote stage opportunities on which, songs she produced and recorded with award-winning guitarist, John Guth, would be received and applauded in enthusiastic, standing room only venues.
Cornwall, New York was where Lydia grew up. Lydia has returned. But with an armful of life's stories treasured in heartbreak, passion, comic inspiration and love.
An independent artist, Davis defined Three Feathers Music as her label and publishing company. "Birds of a feather stick together", Lydia would say of her brother and sister who totally stood by her first all-original, self-produced release, "Gift of Story".
More than a "Gift of Story", her heart-driven lyrics and fervent deliverence in song and sound throughout attain total connection with her listeners, both live and digitally mastered. "Gift of Story" soulfully shells out a timeless, phenomenal, acoustic folk recording, faultlessly recorded with John Guth's gifted guitar wizardry, achieving total alignment to the writer's intonation and emotional intent.
At the age of sixteen, the minute she picked up the guitar, Lydia's songwriting began. The acoustic folk era was dominated by the likes of Pete Seeger, Bob Dylan, Judy Collins, Joni Mitchell, Tom Paxton, Louden Wainwright III, Holly Near and Steve Goodman, many with whom Lydia Adams Davis has performed. Pete Seeger is now, and has always been, Lydia's key influence, mentor and friend.
A graduate of Northfield Mount Hermon School, Davis says she "was tremendously influenced" in her high school years at this Western Massachusetts boarding school and in that time felt her "propensity toward being a musician, to be an all around musical person and to be a spiritual person".
Raising her daughter as a single parent in Brooklyn, New York and making musical ends meet were acts of passion for both Lydia's primary priority as a dedicated mother and persuant work as a gifted and talented artist during these years. Lydia thrived on performing, and began to build her repertoire of well-received original works as well as collections of ballads, in any genre she would choose.
Venues booked most known to folk-loving fans
include: The Bottom Line, Mine Street Coffehouse, and Fast Folk Cafe in NYC; Le Loup du Faubourg, Paris, France; Musikfest, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania; Mission View, Tucson, Arizona; The Folkway, Peterboro, New Hampshire; Wintertide Coffeehouse, Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts; Owen Sound Festival, Ontario, Canada.
Lydia Adams Davis - pristine and pure vocals
and unpretentious, acoustic guitar.
John Guth, master on acoustic guitar.
Guitarist/Composer John Guth has toured and/or recorded with many well known musicians including Bob Gibson, Tom Paxton, Mimi Farina, Susanne Vega, Peter Allen, Judy Collins, Red Grammer, composer Galt MacDermot, and the Paul Winter Consort with whom he wrote lyrics for 2 songs on Common Ground. He was onstage guitarist for the entire run of Big River on Broadway. His music is on the Grammy winning audio book production of Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire as well as the other Harry Potter audio books.