The music of the Mad Maggies will stick in your ears, itch your dancing toes, and lift up your spirits. These musicians from the San Francisco Bay Area happily careen across the musical map on their new release, "Crazed and Enthused."
Enjoy a cabaret tune? Sing along to "Luna Marie." Looking for the reggae feel with a timely message? You'll groove to "Heaven on This Earth." Up for a good polka? Check out "Furey's Polka" or "Where's Diana?" Celtic ballads your fave? Give "Barefoot Kate" a listen. Never heard a Mexican-Eastern European hybrid? "La Pachulera" is that one of a kind. And there's much more! "Crazed and Enthused" has something for everyone, if they're kind of crazy -- 13 songs in all.
Mad Mag’s Listening Notes:
1. Up North ... polka
2. Luna Marie ... love and fate in a cold dark sky (cabaret)*
3. La Pachulera … klezmer musicians at the border
4. Street Dog ... looked who showed up one Mardi Gras night*
5. Heaven on this Earth … supposin’ there’s no home on high (reggaesque)
6. Furey’s Polka ... polka
7. Barefoot Kate ... love in time of war (ballad)
8. Our Hearts Ride a Big Wheel ... poetic rock
9. Sleepy Maggie … rousing urban take on a trad Celtic reel*
10. Short and Sweet ... about that size thing
11. Where’s Diana? ... circus polka
12. Friday Night ... dancing side by side
13. Time’s Up ... jubilation
* AS HEARD ON TV: "Sleepy Maggie" is used in "The Black Donnellys" pilot. About 7 minutes into the show there’s a bar scene --"Sleepy Maggie" plays throughout the scene. This series was created by Paul Haggis (Million Dollar Baby, Crash, Casino Royale) and written by Robert Moresco (Million Dollar Baby, Crash).
HONORED "Luna Marie" & "Street Dog" were nominated by the Just Plain Folks Music Awards 2006 in the cabaret and cajun song categories respectively.
Be sure and check out our 2nd CD, "Magdalena's Revenge" here at CDBaby:
What some of the Mad Maggies' fans have to say:
I absolutely LOVE your music! Maggie's voice is so of another era... Don't you just want to rub it all over your face? -- L. Baker-Foley
"There's rhythms that make you want to get up and dance and a kind of sadness ... clowns and carnivals and all that they conjure -- gay darkness, whimsical gravity..." -- D. Clarke
"Serious musicians having some serious fun." -- C. Vaquero
"It's like old time music done by well-trained performers who aren't showing off." -- A. Hills
Composer/singer/accordionist Maggie Martin is responsible for this musical mayhem of accordion, sax, trombone, tuba, trumpet, guitars and percussion, whipping up pleasingly unusual, dance-inducing tunes in a startling array of styles. Martin has been playing music for a lifetime and loves nothing more than to write tunes, wrangle musicians, and sing her heart out. Her long list of credits include 13 years as squeeze artist with Polkacide, San Francisco's one and only hardcore polka band and writing and directing for "Mixed Company," a mixed media performing arts ensemble active for five years in the Bay Area.
Maggie Martin is joined by:
Johny Blood: tuba
Billy Dee Boom: drums & percussion
J.J. Davis: vocals
John Hensley: trumpet, Pujé, cornets
Lawrence Jarach; trombone
J.X. Jones: sax
Lewis Wallace: bass guitar
Gary Wium: guitars