The Magick is Balagan's second album with composer Marc Forde and, like their first ground-breaking album, Orpheus, was written in response to schools requesting new musical works. Orpheus has since exceeded all expectations, having been performed by adult theatre companies, as well as schools. This musical was inspired by the painting, The Death of Alexandrina (A Morte de Alexandrina) by the internationally renowned Argentine artist Carybé, who lived for most of his life in Bahia, Brazil.
It should be noted that our products are actually CD-Extras. That is to say you can listen to the audio with your CD player then, via your computer, you have access to a lot of CD-Rom material. Our aim is to give anybody, whatever their resources, as much material as possible in order to perform this work. If you are considering putting on a production of this work with your school or theatre company, then you would be better off buying the CD, as it is currently not possible to include the CD-Rom material as a zip file. The CD-Rom includes:
- A Licence to perform the work;
- Notes for a teacher on how to put on the musical by Marc Forde;
- Curriculum approaches for teachers to consider by Maria King;
- Biography of Carybé;
- The painting, A Morte de Alexandrina;
- Story of The Magick;
- Complete Lyrics and optional Narrative script;
- Full production script;
- A songbook adaptation for piano and voice;
- Video Clips of Balagan's production filmed by Stuart Monro;
- Instrumental scores for violin, viola, cello, trumpet, clarinet, piano and conductor's full score;
- Photos of cast members and musicians;
- Backing tracks for children to practise to, or perform with, if you have no access to musicians.