The pieces chosen for “Messin’ with the Classix” have been updated and rearranged into a flowing meditative style that can best be described as *New Age Classical.* Unlike much of New Age music, which can often be repetitive and bland, these arrangements contain the beautiful lyrical melodies and rich harmonies of the original pieces. The harmonic structure and rhythm of the original works have been manipulated in a way that will lead the listener to an engaging, relaxing and fulfilling experience. "Messin* with the Classix" contains music from Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Chopin, Handel, Schubert and more. Below is a list of the track titles and corresponding classical compositions they were adapted from.
1. Alla Turca, A La Mikul - (“Alla Turca” by Mozart)
2. Chopin Waltz, Plus One - (“Valse Op. 64, No. 2” by Chopin)
3. For Elisa - (“Fur Elise” by Beethoven)
4. Rarefied Air - (“Air in D” by Bach)
5. Mary, Quite Contrary - (“Ave Maria” by Schubert)
6. A Narcotic for Narcissus - (“Narcissus” by Nevin)
7. My Piano Gently Weeps - (“Lascia Ch*io Pianga” by Handel)
8. Moonlight Sonata Becomes You - (“Moonlight Sonata” by Beethoven)
9. Flower Power - (“Flower Song” by Lange)
10. Along Came Mary - (“Ave Maria” by Bach)
11. Beethoven*s Best Adagio - (“Sonata Pathetique” by Beethoven)
12. L.A. Nocturne - (“Nocturne in E Flat” by Chopin)
Tracks 1,4 & 8 can be heard in their entirety on my mySpace page (tracks 1,2 & 3 on my playlist) at: http://www.myspace.com/mikehughespiano (Click on the mySpace link in the bottom left hand corner of this page)
Michael Hughes is an experienced and versatile musician capable of performing in a variety of musical situations. Michael received his Bachelor of Composition Degree from Berklee College of Music and taught there several years as well. He was musical director for “Hair” in Boston and has backed up many artists including Thelma Houston and Kenny Rankin.
As a composer, Michael has written a rock opera that was performed at the Roundhouse Theater in London, England, arranged music for the Buddy Rich Band, and written and performed music for the television shows “The Untouchables,” “Wings,” “Cheers,” “Dear John” and “Frasier.”
Michael is extremely proficient at electronic music. He is adept at computer sequencing and programming synthesizers. He has booked and led his own bands from four to ten pieces and is quite comfortable conducting and leading bands of all kinds.
Michael’s favorite thing to do is to play the keyboards. He is equally at home on acoustic piano and synthesizer. He can play many different styles of music - honestly and with authority.
Currently, Michael is living in Los Angeles, working studios, clubs and casuals.
CDs by Mike Hughes:
“Messin’ with the Classix”
“In My Solitude”
“The Birthday Music CD”
"The Birthday CD for Piano"