Top new U.K alternative Indie rock band MODUS release their noisy, melodic, emotional, angry and potent new E.P " The Thin Air E.P" through Matchbox Recordings. Think Coldplay on acid meets Snow Patrol on holiday with a melodic Joy Division. This hot E.P is filled with emotional noisy dark Indie songs. Angst, anger and dark melodies from Modus.
Featuring the Matchbox Radio 24 fave " low" that has been getting tons of worldwide radioplay on Internet stations like Thrillkicker, Overground Radio, ROK radio, Sky FM, Phoenix Rock, Post FM, Audio Overload, The Gate, What Sound, Radio Freakout, JIFR Rock Radio, XARN Radio and more.
The Interview with Modus
1. What made you decide on a recording career? Tell us a bit about the Modus history.
We all realised that we wanted to be in a band, some of us more recently than others. We all knew that we wanted to rock out!... you know, play to people... that's what brought us together.
2. Who or what are your influences?
It's hard to pin down specific artists and subjects as between us we have quite differing influences. The common factor though is that we are all lovers of music and of playing instruments.
3. What modern artists do you rate?
We couldn't be brief about this... we could say anyone making quality music and a difference!
4. If you could choose to record a song with any other artist/ band alive or dead, who would it be?
We could never agree on this, there are too many contenders.
5. What inspires you to write music?
A combination of the things that we go through day to day and experiences we have had. Plus of course, playing music together.
6. Name your all time favourite song.
7. Why are you called Modus?
We thought that it sounded good and it also meant something that related to music. Modus - Latin: the measurement of rhythm.
8. What are your ambitions for your music? Where do you see yourself in five years?
We can't tell where we'll be in five years. We hope to be spreading our music around and just keeping it going!
9. How would you describe your music and what genre do you think it fits into?
Well, we're a rock band... but after that we don't really go in for genres or NME type descriptions! We're not into all that. Too many people get tangled up in trying to come up with new and trendy descriptions. It's rock, it's dark, it's punky sometimes but lets not get carried away!
10. Your new e.p. has a very leftfield experimental indie guitar sound with walls of very dark screeching guitars. How did you get that sound? Where was it recorded?
Well the sound that we produce really comes from James and Max's preferences, the two guitars. We all really like that sound. They basically achieve it through their effects and amp settings... James especially, adding a lot of 'dirty low end.' It's basically a sound, which just comes out when we all get together - quite organic and instinctive. We recorded the e.p. at our friends studio in Nottingham and produced it ourselves. I think a lot of bands at this stage take this route. When you're skint and know what you want it makes sense and of course you're totally in control.
11. Tell us more about the song "Low" and what it's about.
Low is very much about a particular personal experience. It's really about dealing with anger and frustration. Also trying to break free from something over a period of time and comparing that to what other people have been going through. Ultimately it's a question from one person to another. The listener can decide what context that's in, whether it be an argument or whatever. It feels quite dark to us.