If you base what you think you know about Monique on her ‘97 top 10 single The Change In Me then read on to be enlightened!
With a new 5 piece band collectively known as M & The Flash Mob, Monique and internationally renowned producer Mark Opitz (INXS, Divinyls, Hoodoo Gurus) are working together to create an edgy pop rock sound for Monique’s forthcoming album.
Opitz came on board the project upon hearing the strength of Monique’s new material, believing in her as a songwriter and in her supreme vocal ability. Together they have recently demoed up a swag of new tracks at Melbourne's 30 Mill studios and will start recording in earnest very soon!
Brumby continues to blaze trails and take risks. While many of her contemporaries are picking up acoustic guitars in readiness for the predictable strum & hum, Monique is again shifting gears. Leaving her acoustic guitar on the woodpile and strapping on her electric, Monique is amped up for an innovative explosive sound that will create the backbone for her new release!
What you know about Monique Brumby
• Has won 2 ARIA Awards for Best New Artist and Best Female Artist in consecutive years
• Has had 3 ARIA nominations including Song of the Year for one her original compositions
• Has written and performed songs featured on numerous Australian film and television productions including Neighbours, Heartbreak High, Secret Life of Us, McLeod’s Daughters, Diana & Me and Occasional Course Language
What you may not know about Monique Brumby
• Embarked on her second national tour in Oct ‘08 with US band The Bangles at their personal request
• Has recently secured a licensing deal with merchandise company Out With The New
• Has co-written a track on the Malcolm Burn produced debut album by singer songwriter Krista Polvere featuring Ryan Adams on guitar
• Has also co-written with a multitude of artists from all genres including Rob Hirst of Midnight Oil, Paul Kelly, Beccy Cole and David Bridie
• Has mentored many young artists through the FReeZA Central program as part of The Push for the past three years
• Produced debut album for Melbourne based band Mosaik (’07) and produced, recorded and mixed debut album for Adelaide singer songwriter Emily Davis (’06)
• Has composed the song Australia Awaits for the Australian Tourism Commission (’05)
• Has to date released 2 EP’s and 3 albums of her original compositions
• Has been included in Who’s Who of Australia, Who’s Who of Australian Women and Who’s Who of Tasmania
• Won Young Tasmanian of the Year for the Arts (’98)
• Her back catalogue is published by Mushroom Music. Currently Monique owns her own publishing
• Has successfully applied for and has been awarded grants from Arts Victoria in the areas of touring and recording
• Is currently an integral part of the NAB 150 Tour conducting songwriting workshops in schools throughout regional Australia in addition to playing at a number of the NAB 150 community events including a show with Pete Murray
• Is currently one of a handful of artists selected to be a part of the creative committee for the NAB 150 Dream Festival which was held Oct ’08 Birrurung Marr, Melbourne
• Recently wrote and produced the music for Make A Wish Foundation recipient Tim Lloyd
What you need to know about Monique Brumby
• Monique Brumby is an innovator
• An accomplished songwriter/producer, Monique’s brand of lyrical pop/rock is punctuated with distinct melodies and strong as steel hooks and licks - a style which has always set her apart from the pack
• Her recorded works have won her legions of fans and great respect from her peers and music critics alike
“When you care about what you do, you take the time to quietly fashion it to make sure it not only says what you want it to say, but you hope it also reveals itself to the listener. That’s the way Monique Brumby makes records.” Michael Smith, Drum