The essence of chillout music is tasteful composition, multi-dimensional production, and the limitless sonic palette available to modern producers. Attempted by many, marrying state-of-the-art electronic waveforms with ancient Asian timbres is a delicate process successful only by inspiration, not by experimentation. MoShang achieves this, presenting some of the finest recordings to date uniting these disparate eras of musical sound as if concurrent.
MoShang loads his latest sonic jewel case, "Chill Dynasty", with only gems, finding that deep soft spot only the best chillout reaches. From the jazzy uptown images of "Or Else", to the scenery of a bright mountain sunrise in "Tall Tale", to "Soli" and its sophistication of 70's fusion with stylistic update, MoShang colors vision with sound, making each track a fine aural canvas. “Easy” exudes the time-enduring qualities of an adult-contemporary hit and is already well-received with radio audiences prior to its release, featuring the intoxicatingly lush vocals of Sonja V. melting a soul like butter from her very first vowel.
"Chill Dynasty" proves MoShang’s consistent quality and mastery as an artist, composer, and producer. Meet the Eastern world’s Sven Van Hees – MoShang proves Chill Dynasty a classic beyond its time.
- Tim Quigley, groovera.com - Groovera Chilled Web Radio
MoShang is a sound jeweler living in Taiwan. He collects rough audio-diamonds from the streets of Taiwan (be they overheard conversations, street-ads blared from the ubiquitous blue-trucks, street processions or funeral chants) and fuses them with traditional Chinese instruments and laid-back beats to create a unique blend of downtempo electronica he likes to call "Chinese Chill".
Although he is slightly embarrassed to admit it, MoShang (aka Jean Marais) started his musical career as a choral singer in his native South Africa in the early 1980's. Around the same time, he received his first computer - a Commodore VIC-20. His passion for music and computers would eventually culminate in the release of his debut solo album "Made In Taiwan" in 2004.
Along the way, MoShang was the front man of Duusman (an Afrikaans language art rock band), played the saxophone for Tsunami (on the Gallo Jazz label), and produced 10 tracks on three award-winning music and poetry albums with the celebrated South African poet Breyten Breytenbach. He was half of the Afrikaans pop-duo 12Hz with Riku Latti (their debut "Nou" has been described as the most progressive Afrikaans album ever) and he received a South African AVANTI award for his music to the short film "Angels in a Cage".
Moshang's track "Nun Other" was a finalist in the 2005/2006 International Songwriting Competition.
Feedback from listeners:
· “Top marks from me for [Comfort Zone]. Loved the arrangements and use of added elements.” Posted by Langie on www.di.fm (Voted “Simply Amazing!”)
· “Checkin yer track Comfort Zone, what a mellow choon! Absolutely lovely in all wayz.” Posted by Morr130 on SoundClick message board
· “I really enjoyed hearing confort zone & and she swung, very cool sounding music!” Posted by Gary Fuston on SoundClick message board
· “'Comfort Zone' on your main page is AWESOME! So far it's the best quality recording I've heard on any of the Main SoundClick pages.” Posted by TheWalrusWasPaul on SoundClick message board
· “Comfort Zone is really beautiful and sounds just like its name =) very well mixed and allover catchy but interesting.” Posted by While on SoundClick message board
· “usually not my cup of tea, but I really really loved that keyboard solo on SOLI...awesome. - Marvelous sense of compositional development, transition and resolution....but of course you knew that...!!!” Posted by Xavier Lynch on SoundClick message board
· “Hi, I’m diggin on ‘Comfort Zone’ What a Song. Nice vibes all the way through. It's Laid Back and so soothing.” Posted by Tom King on SoundClick message board
· “Absolutely loving comfort zone!! Your music is top notch!” Posted by Mike Young on SoundClick message board
· “i have to say your music is absolutely amazing...and the mixes are dead on...” Posted by omnyc on SoundClick message board
· “Your works are some of the best I have heard here on soundclick. They are very uplifting and are just very well done.” Posted by sans edge on SoundClick message board
· “Excellent stuff. I like the mix of traditional instruments with a jazzy atmosphere.” Posted by carlatchou edge on SoundClick message board
· “MoShang, Incredible music! Wow!!” Posted by Earl Flemm on SoundClick message board
· “Man, this Music is Nice. Your style is unique, for I've neva heard good music like this on soundclick before.” Posted by rj14 on SoundClick message board
· “I love Soli! Interesting mix of textures/tones..” Posted by violincyndee on SoundClick message board
· “Wow, amazing! Your style is exactly what ive been looking for. Great tunes man, keep it up!” Posted by den b on SoundClick message board
· “Amazing stuff: Professionally done and marvellously conveying the Chinese atmosphere.” Posted by mxavier mxavier on SoundClick message board
· “WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW
WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH WOAH
OH MY GOODNESS.!! OH MY GOODNESS!!” Posted by TRUE SKILLZ on SoundClick message board
· “Im listening to talltale. I really like the mood shifts and variety of musical influences. Youre a true visionary. Keep up the great works.” Posted by KARLSBAD Noonan on SoundClick message board
· “Simply amazing tracks and production, your music is unique and a total pleasure to listen to.” Posted by dreamlab2004 on SoundClick message board
· “Man.....Comfort Zone is premium stuff. The most pro ambient I have heard to date here on soundclick.” Posted by demeaning on SoundClick message board