WHAT IS AN OPPOSITE DAY?
"what the Beatles might have sounded like if they'd been part of the video game generation"
- David Brown of Texas Music Matters (4/11/09), KUT Austin 90.5fm
Blending art-rock, pop, experimental, math, jazz, and punk sounds with an absurdist academic childish lyrical fetish, Opposite Day has ratcheted up the aggressive pop tension and loosened the stylistic standards for Austin’s music scene for the last 8 years.
WHAT DOES IT SOUND LIKE?
Music Mastodon would write for Spoon to play. Music Frank Zappa would write for the Dead Kennedys to play. Music Steely Dan would write for Bad Brains to play. The burp after Faith no More eats Of Montreal. Brown Whornet covering Talking Heads. Dr Seuss writing lyrics for a Fishbone/Meshuggah supergroup. Paul McCartney and Mike Patton’s latest collaboration. The exact midpoint between Cannibal Corpse and Linda Ronstadt.
ALBUM: WHAT IS IS?
“What is is?” is Opposite Day’s 4th album. It represents a focusing of our aggressive experimental pop sound with a batch of songs that will have you signing along while scratching your head while being knocked backwards onto the floor (multitasking is fun). Previous albums (Economics for Mr Ugly – 2003, Fictional Biology – 2005, and Safety First – 2007) have variously established, deviated from, or expanded on the Opposite Day formula. With this one, we’re playing on our strengths: tight 3-minute songs that are as deeply confusing and utterly unique as they are high-energy and catchy. Odd time signatures, pop-hooks, agile musicianship, humor, and jump-up-in-the-air energy conspire (with an offbeat Beatles cover) to deliver the highest-energy and most focusedest Opposite Day album to date.
- Contains present and former members of Sarah Sharp's band (www.sarahsharp.com). She was voted #1 Jazz musician in the Austin Chronicle Music Awards (2008-2009).
- We sometimes do shows of all Madonna songs. This has been an annual event for the last 3 years. We do the entire Immaculate Collection in our own style and it kicks butt;
- We’ve been ranked a top 10 band in the experimental and punk categories in the Austin Chronicle readers’ poll almost every year of our existence;
- We frequently play with bands we love, like: the Invincible Czars, Muchos Backflips!, Lick Lick, the Wailing Walls, Perfect Pants, etc…
- Our music video “Girl Spy; Super Spy” won best animated music video in Austin in 2005.